Leave the pretty cocktail watches at home, and rock out with these sportier models when the occasion calls for it
Attending all the Formula 1 shenanigans taking place this weekend is more work than it seems. Not only do you have to dress and look the part of the high-octane club, you also need to know how to talk shop if you foresee some shoulder rubbing with the racecar junkies at a post-F1 party or two. One way to assimilate right into the crowd? Wear a timepiece that means business. For the ladies who want to be taken seriously as motoring enthusiasts, consider this part of your battle plan to win over the chauvinists who assume you interpret the meaning of 'pole position' differently. Sporty yet with a more feminine persuasion, here are five watches to step out with if you're off to the races:
1. Tag Heuer Monaco You can't get more visible than with this classic square timepiece, famously worn by Steve McQueen and created in honour of the 1969 Monaco Grand Prix. It was a revolutionary icon for being the first square-cased automatic watch with a chronograph function. While the ladies' version lacks the chronograph bit, its undeniable connection to racing history is more than legit.
2. Tudor Chrono Blue Those who prefer their sporty watches with more heft, a noticeably vintage façade, and a more gender fluid appeal, the Chrono Blue is exactly what you're looking for. Clocking in at 41mm (Lady Gaga wears her Black Bay in this size, FYI), the heritage model works an opaline and blue watch face that resembles the dials on a racecar dashboard.
3. Chopard Mille Miglia Classic Chronograph You've got a rubber strap cast in Dunlop tire treads, a silver dial that riffs off the look of a vintage car body, and beneath that a chronometer-certified movement to complement the automobile design. Leave it to Chopard to perfect the ultimate classic car-inspired watch, what with the maison acting as the official timekeeper for the world's most famous motorsport endurance competition.
4. Baume & Mercier Linea Though the Clifton collection is the designated racing watch for the maison, the Linea scores points with an all-steel make that's sporty looking yet super sleek at the same time. Plus the silvered mother-of-pearl dial, smattering of diamonds, and its chronograph and date function certainly adds to its appeal.
5. Hublot Classic Fusion Chronograph King Gold Pavé While this is technically an appropriation from the boys' club, being a 42mm-sized watch which kind of veers into the masculine territory, the 370 diamonds on the bezel and horns say otherwise. Equipped with Hublot's proprietary chronograph, you'll be showing up with a split-seconds function that times every race like a dream.