Culinary legend Joël Robuchon passes away at 73: Celebrity chefs react
Just last month, we said goodbye as the well-revered Joël Robuchon restaurants departed from our city's fine dining scene, along with their Michelin stars. But yesterday, the culinary world mourned an even greater loss — the passing of Joël Robuchon himself, from a battle lost in cancer.
Dubbed "Chef of the Century", Robuchon will be remembered for redefining the standards of French haute cuisine, nailing the formula of a Michelin-worthy restaurant and of course — his pomme purée. Mashed potatoes, cooked so silky and buttery that it became the signature dish which epitomised his culinary style — simple, yet deftly executed.
As news broke last night, celebrity chefs paid their tributes as the world bid farewell to the iconic French chef and restaurateur.
1. Gordon Ramsey expressed his condolences by naming his mentor as "the Godfather of Michelin". Robuchon was the only person who ever threw a plate at Ramsey in his entire culinary career.
2. Star of Netflix's documentary, 'Ugly Delicious', David Chang remembers Robuchon as the Bill Walsh of gastronomy.
3. Nigella Lawson credits the legendary mashed potatoes.
4. Shake Shack's restaurateur, Danny Meyer, acknowledges Robuchon for being a pioneer in building a global restaurant empire.
5. Chef and TV presenter Andrew Zimmern revisits the age of 23 when he celebrated Robuchon's birthday by cooking him dinner.