Watch Park Bench Deli's Andrei Soen assemble a BLT sandwich — recipe included
All hands on deck
When you're the head chef and creative director of Park Bench Deli (our city's cult-favourite sandwich shack) down on Telok Ayer Street, what bread adventures do you get up to while at home?
The answer? A trusty BLT, which in the words of Andrei Soen, is a sandwich that's hard to flub. Regardless, Soen puts his own spin on it with American thick-sliced bacon (the only way he knows how), delicious homemade lemon mayo, and nifty tricks to watch out for while assembling this classic choice.
Recipe for Andrei's BLT sandwich
1. Place your desired bacon on the tray and into the oven to cook for 18 minutes.
2. Wash your butterhead lettuce and then dry it out. Pat it with a paper towel, just so the water within is soaked up.
3. Cut the tomato in thin slices and lay them out. Evenly salt them to extract water from the slices.
4. Slice up the avocado and put it aside.
5. Start on the lemon mayo. Squeeze out a dollop into a small bowl, zest the lemon over it, followed by squeezing a tad bit of juice into the mayo. Mix well and let it sit.
6. Prepare your bread slices. Spread either butter or mayo over one side, and have it toasted in a pan over heat, with the spread side facing down. Press the middle of the bread to make sure that it's toasted well until it looks slightly brown, instead of just the rims. (You can use a spatula for this)
7. Take out your bacon from the oven — it should be semi-crispy.
8. Start assembling your sandwich. First, spread the lemon mayo over the side of toast that hasn't been mayoed or buttered.
9. Lay the sliced tomatoes over it, followed by sliced avocado, toasted bacon, and last but not least, lettuce before capping it off with the other slice of toast. Cut it in half before serving.
Creative Producer: Vanessa Caitlin
Videography: David Bay
Sound: Hazirah Rahim