Watch Chef Alysia Chan of The Black Swan cook a simple grits dish, recipe included
Crack an egg
When it comes to grits, most of us think plain dull smush liking it to a bowl of oatmeal. Well not to head chef of The Black Swan, Alysia Chan. There's a few things one can do to elevate the typical American breakfast cornmeal. Starting with good cheese, a soft-boiled egg, and hot sauce. Watch her take on it above.
Recipe for Alysia Chan's grits
Here's what you need
1 cup Coarse Ground Grits (Chef Alysia's choice: Bob's Red Mill Brand)
2 cups of Water
2 cups of Milk
1 Chicken Egg, soft boiled
100g Grated Cheese (sharp cheddar or your favourite cheese)
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste
Pork Crackling (for garnish)
Favourite Hot Sauce (Chef Alysia's choice: Cholula chipotle)
How to make it
1. Soak the grits in a pot of water overnight. Do not strain.
2. Add 1 cup of milk in the pot and heat till boiling then simmer.
3. Stir occasionally, adding the rest of the milk whenever the grits get too dry. Cook to a porridge consistency.
4. Stir in grated cheese, butter and freshly ground black pepper. Season with salt to taste.
5. Pour finished grits into a bowl, make a dent in the middle of the grits with a spoon and crack a soft boiled egg in.
6. Garnish with pork crackling and hot sauce.