How to make the perfect Thanksgiving turkey
It's finally time to ring in the holiday bird. The main star of the table this Thanksgiving is none other than the trusty turkey; which also means it has to be perfectly cooked, one way or another. How to achieve top host status? Matthew Van Der Zwan, executive chef at Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel, has just the foolproof recipe for you to steal — featuring a delicious roasted maple glazed turkey with chestnut stuffing. Unlike typical renditions, this one involves soaked bread, sautéed chicken liver, and a generous amount of brandy. Are you ready for 23 November?
Chestnut stuffing: Here's what you need
100g Pork Fat
500g Veal, minced
500g Pork, minced
200g Turkey or Chicken Liver
225g Celery, diced
225g Onion, diced
10g Parsely, chopped
250g White Bread, diced
500g Boiled Chestnut, ¾ cooked
100g Sultana, soaked with Brandy overnight
50ml Madeira Wine
1tspn White Pepper Powder
250ml Whipping Cream
Chestnut stuffing: How to make it
1. Mix veal, pork, and pork fat in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
2. Sauté chicken liver and remove from pan. Pan-fry bacon until crispy and leave aside.
3. Stir-fry celery, onion, rosemary, and thyme until vegetables are cooked.
4. Soak the diced bread in milk and add whipped cream.
5. Mix the remaining ingredients in the meat mixture and add the soaked bread and cream.
6. Pour mixture onto a baking tray, flatten the surface with a spatula, and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
Roasted maple glazed turkey with chestnut stuffing: Here's what you need
4-5kg Whole Turkey
2g Cayenne Pepper
50g Maple Syrup
500ml Turkey Jus
Roasted maple glazed turkey with chestnut stuffing: How to make it
1. Preheat oven to 160°C . Season the turkey and cavity well with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and paprika.
2. Place the turkey in the oven and roast for one hour. Turn the turkey once in a while to ensure it roasts evenly.
3. Remove the turkey from the oven and glaze the turkey with maple syrup before returning it into the oven. Roast the turkey until it is completely cooked or when the internal temperature of the turkey meets 74°C .
4. Remove it from the oven and rest the turkey for 30 minutes.
5. Simmer the turkey jus and slowly reduce it until it slightly thickens.
6. Cool the chestnut stuffing and serve it with the maple-glazed turkey and turkey jus.
Buro 24/7 Selection
Buro 24/7 Selection