#SaturdaySessions: Coconut and gula melaka granola
If it wasn't for Nakula, the Aussie brand that's all about coconut in its glorious forms, we wouldn't have come across this delicious recipe. They sent us a little care package of their cold-pressed virgin coconut oil which included a tasty bag of granola — a veritable god-send on a busy, no-lunch work day. It was toasty, crunchy, and the right measure of sweet. If you love coconut, this recipe features a triple treat of coconut oil, sugar, and flakes. Almond and pumpkin seeds lend additional crunch while gula melaka kicks things up from good to great.
Here's what you'll need
250g rolled oats
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup gula melaka syrup
2 tbsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
3/4 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
How to make it
1. Preheat oven at 150 degrees Celcius.
2. Add all the ingredients into a bowl. Stir to mix. Taste and add more sugar or salt if necessary.
3. Spread mixture evenly onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake in oven, stirring every 15 mins, until granola is toasted and golden-brown, about 50-60 mins.
5. Remove granola from oven and allow to cool completely before storing it.
This recipe was shared with us by Nakula Organic Coconut Oil. Keen to purchase the coconut oil for yourself? You'll find it at Cold Storage and Jasons supermarkets.