#SaturdaySessions: Besan Ladoo, a sweat treat for Deepavali
Celebrating the festival of lights
When Deepavali rolls around, you really have no reason to dodge the glorious, colourful plates of sweet treats handmade by the ladies of the house. One such Deepavali snack you're likely to come across is besan ladoo, circular morsels that combine a base of chickpea flour with sugar, ghee, and nuts. Cardamom and nutmeg spice up the addictive snack, making it the perfect companion to a hot cup of marsala chai. To amp up this festive treat, we've added nutmeg and freshly grated coconut to our version of besan ladoo.
Here's what you need
1/2 cup ghee
5 green cardamoms
2 cups chickpea flour
1/4 cup cashews, chopped
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon of nutmeg powder
500g of freshly grated coconut
How to make it
1. Heat ghee in a cooking pot and add green cardamoms. When the cardamoms start to turn fragrant, add chickpea flour and mix thoroughly. Turn down the fire and let the mixture cook till aromatic. This will take approximately 10 minutes.
2. Crush the cashews. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour mixture and crushed cashews.
3. Allow the mixture to cool slightly before combining it with sugar and nutmeg powder
4. Roll the flour mixture into golf ball-sized morsels. Coat them with freshly grated coconut.
5. Leave the ladoos to cool before serving them.
This recipe is adapted from Sanjeev Kapoor's besan ladoo recipe. To view the original recipe, click here.