#SaturdaySessions: Beef short ribs with smoked aubergine purée
One for the boys
Good things take time. And what a difference 72 hours makes when it comes to cooking beef short ribs till they yield at the slightest touch of the knife. We had a taste of these masterfully-cooked ribs when we sampled the tasting menu at Cure and knew we had to run a recipe that came close to mirroring that utterly indulgent experience. Here, Chef Andrew Walsh has adapted the recipe for his killer beef short ribs, but one that only demands four hours of your time instead of the requisite 72. Carnivores, consider it your lucky day.
HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED
Beef short rib
3kg beef short rib, preferably 4- by 12-inch short ribs
Salt and pepper, to season
5 aubergines, cut into 4cm rounds
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp cumin powder
100g crème fraîche
2 lemons, juice and zest
6 courgettes, julienned
3 onions, finely sliced
3 cups white wine vinegar
1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp ground turmeric
120g hazelnuts, toasted
75g sesame seeds, toasted
5g coriander seeds, toasted and ground
5g cumin seeds, toasted and ground
5g peppercorn, toasted and ground
HOW TO MAKE IT
For the beef short rib
1. Trim the beef short ribs and season well with salt and pepper.
2. Slow-roast beef short ribs in oven at 180°C for four hours.
For the aubergine puree
1. Roast aubergines at 180°C in oven until soft.
2. Place aubergines in blender and add cumin powder.
3. Incorporate crème fraiche, honey, lemon juice and lemon zest into blender, and puree on high speed.
For the courgette pickles
1. Toss the courgettes with onion and salt, and cover with cold water.
2. Leave the courgette mixture in a bowl for one hour.
3. Drain the courgette mixture and place in a bowl.
4. Heat all remaining ingredients and pour onto the courgettes.
For the dukkah
h1. Mix all ingredients together and season to taste with salt
To assemble the dish
1. Place the beef short rib in the centre of the dish
2. Place individual components of dukkah, pickled courgettes and smoked aubergine puree in small dollops around the beef short rib.
To view more recipes from our #SaturdaySessions series, click here.