How to make a mean Mediterranean breakfast
Mediterranean diets have gained traction for plenty of good reasons — they are healthy, hearty, and delicious, which sounds like the perfect start to any productive day. The trick is to cut back on red meat and excessive salt, and instead, consume more lean protein, vegetables, spices, and whole grains. Below, Chef Marco Turrati from Publico shares his ideal Mediterranean breakfast recipe. His secret weapon? A zesty spiced yoghurt marinade, which adds flavour without the help of any unhealthy seasonings. We think it's about time we make the switch to this wholesome breakfast spread — so long, Sausage McMuffins.
Mediterranean Yoghurt Marinade: Here's what you need
1 cup Greek Yoghurt
3g Chopped Parsley
2 cloves Chopped Garlic
1 Lemon (freshly squeezed lemon juice)
1 Small Freshly Chopped Chilli
1 pinch of Zaatar herbs
Mediterranean breakfast: Here's what you need
220g Chicken Breast
1 slice Sourdough Bread
1 cup Fresh Kale
½ cup Cherry Tomatoes
20g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Black Pepper
Mediterranean breakfast: How to make it
1. Mix ingredients for the Mediterranean yoghurt marinade together into a small bowl.
2. Marinate chicken breast in Mediterranean yoghurt marinade and allow it to set overnight. Grill chicken meat till it's fully cooked.
3. Separate out the egg whites and whip until it's white and fluffy. Sauté kale with extra virgin oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Do this with the cherry tomatoes as well.
4. Toast the sourdough bread. Bake whipped egg whites at 180 ̊C for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. To serve, place the toasted sourdough bread on a plate. Top the bread with kale, and sit baked egg whites on top of the kale. Place the grilled chicken on the side. Garnish dish with cherry tomatoes.