McDonald's Sausage Egg McMuffin recipe: How to make the breakfast special yourself
I'm (still) lovin' it
Assimilating the daily routine of our city's circuit breaker might have required a few sacrifices, but in time, they all seemed attainable. Or at least that's what we assumed, until news broke of McDonald's shuttering all of their outlets until 4 May. That earth-shattering decision did set us a few (hundred) steps back from the progress we made in this #stayhome fix.
For the first time since we've known, our beloved 24/7-rain-or-shine fast food chain isn't in operations. No late-night door calls when the munchies hit or waiting in line just to get a McFlurry. The unprecedented situation might be temporal but it's a reality that's hard to grapple with, even with a bigger problem named COVID-19 at hand.
Of course for some maddening reason, the cravings of a 330-calorie loaded burger seem more fervent as before. It's the classic cliche of not knowing what you've got until it's gone. So to tide you over till 4 May, multifaceted eatery Telok Ayer Arts Club's sous chef, Saz (with over 30 years of culinary experience clocked in Sydney as well as a slew of popular bistros in Singapore) presents his rendition of McD recipes. The first, being the legendary breakfast special — Sausage Egg McMuffin. Here's a picture below, in case you forgot how it looked like.
Enough of wallowing on Instagram, here's your chance to create this delectable stack all by yourself. Watch this space for more Maccas-inspired treats.
Recipe for chef Saz's Spiced Sausage McMuffin
Here's what you need:
1 slice of English or Cheddar Cheese
2 slices of English Muffin, lightly toasted and buttered
1 slice of Chicken/Pork Ham
An Egg Ring
For the chicken patty
400-440g Minced Boneless Chicken Leg
5g Chopped Sage
1/4 tpsn Cumin Powder
1/4 tpsn Turmeric Powder
1/4 tpsn Fennel Powder
Salt and Pepper to garnish
For the scrambled egg
1 tbsp Cooking Cream
Sprinkle of Sweet Paprika and Salt
How to make it:
1. Beat the egg together with the cooking cream, add the paprika and salt.
2. Place a ring on a non-stick frying with half tablespoon of butter on a low heat and pour the egg into the ring
3. Cook for 2 minutes.
Chicken patty sausage
1. Mix the minced chicken, egg and spices together. Add in the chopped sage and keep refrigerated for half hour.
2. Portion minced chicken (about 80g each) and make it into a round patty — the ring can also be used as a mould.
3. Fry the patty on medium heat on a non-stick pan.
Assembling the muffin
1. Place your slice of cheese on the toasted and buttered English muffin, followed by the slice of chicken/pork ham, chicken patty and scrambled egg.
2. Top it off with your choice of mayonnaise, chili or ketchup.