How to make a fluffy pandan cake
Three words: green, piquant, fluffy. All the makings of the perfect pandan cake that we have so endearingly grown up with. These days, we turn to heartland bakeries or even our lovely aunties whenever the craving rolls around. Now with this recipe from food writer and TV presenter, Donal Skehan (who recently toured Asia to discover the best bakes), you can attempt to create your very own of this local favourite.
Pandan cake: Here's what you need
6 Large Free-range Eggs, separated
½ tspn Cream of Tartar
175g Caster Sugar
1 tspsn Pandan Extract
1 tspsn Vanilla Extract
100ml Full-Fat Coconut Milk
50ml Vegetable Oil
125g Plain Flour
Pinch of Salt
1 Lime, zest and juice
100g Icing Sugar, sifted
A little bit of water
Pandan cake: How to make it
1. Preheat oven to 175 ̊C. In a large clean bowl, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy using an electric hand mixer. Continue to beat until it looks slightly opaque, then add 100g of sugar in a steady flow. Continue to beat until the meringue reaches stiff peaks and set to one side.
2. In a separate bowl, using the same electric beaters (no need to wash), beat the egg yolks and the remaining 75g sugar and whisk until light. This should take a couple of minutes until it reaches the ribbon stage.
3. Add the pandan extract, vanilla extract, coconut milk and vegetable oil. Whisk until well combined.
4. Sift the flour into the egg yolk mixture and whisk well again. Using a spatula, fold in a spoon of meringue into the egg yolk mixture and mix in well. Then gently fold the remaining meringue into the egg yolk mixture.
5. Lightly spray a bundt tin with baking spray, pour the mixture into the tin and put into the pre-heated oven for 35 minutes.
6. Leave to cool in the tin before removing the cake.
7. Mix the lime juice, icing sugar and water together, and gently pour over the cooled cake evenly so it drizzles down the sides. Grate some lime zest over the top of the cake to finish.
See more of our delicious and easy-to-make recipes.
Catch new episodes of Donal's Asian Baking Adventure on Tuesdays starting at 7.30pm on BBC Lifestyle (Starhub Channel 432). Alternatively, you can head over to BBC player.