How to make a nourishing chicken broth
For most of us who actually cook, Chinese New Year means bringing your A-game into the kitchen — yes, and dishing out the best delicacies to your loved ones. The same standard applies even in a humble bowl of broth, which ironically takes the longest to prepare. Below, Jade's Chinese executive chef, Leong Chee Yeng, shares his recipe of a nourishing bowl of supreme broth — where you'll find ingredients like old chicken, steamed crab, and snow fungus simmered in the mix. Sure, it might demand a little more effort than your usual chicken soups, but we're pretty sure this is an occasion well-worthy of a few extra hours in front of the stove.
Note: Prepare the superior chicken consommé before starting on the fish
Superior Chicken Consommé: Here's what you need
750 Old Fowl (Lao Mu Ji), separated into individual parts
500g Lean Pork, diced
175g Chinese Jinhua Ham
10g Dried Longans
3g Whole White Pepper Corns
Superior Chicken Consommé: How to make it
1. Poach old fowl, lean pork, and Jinhua ham in a large pot of boiling water for 1-2 minutes. This removes blood and any impurities in the meat.
2. Strain, then combine with remaining ingredients in a large pot. Cover with 3 litres of water.
3. Boil over medium heat for 6 hours.
4. Strain and reserve 2 litres.
Supreme Broth with Coral-Shaped Bean Curd: Here's what you need
200g Chinese Cabbage, trimmed and cut into large pieces
50g Kombu, soaked overnight and cut into large pieces
30g Snow Fungus, soaked overnight and cut into small pieces
2 litres Superior Chicken Consommé
Salt, to taste
2 blocks of Silken Bean Curd
500g Grouper, sliced and seasoned with a pinch of salt
1 Crab, steamed, shell removed and meat reserved
5ml Hua Tiao Wine, to finish
Supreme Broth with Coral-Shaped Bean Curd: How to make it
1. Poach Chinese cabbage, kombu and snow fungus in a large pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes till softened.
2. Strain, then combine ingredients with superior chicken consommé. Season with a pinch of salt. Double boil for 30 minutes.
3. Ready a basin of room temperature water. Using a 2.5cm plain round cutter, cut 10 cylinders from 2 blocks of silken bean curd to attain 10 pieces.
4. In a separate pot of boiling water, poach the tofu, sliced grouper and steamed crab for 1-2 minutes till the fish is fully cooked.
5. Strain and transfer all ingredients into the superior chicken consommé. Season one last time to taste and drizzle with hua tiao wine to serve.