How to make Hainanese chicken glutinous rice
Hainanese chicken rice has always had a special footing in Singapore's culinary scene. Reprising of comfort flavours in the form of glistening rice and steamed white chicken, it's a dish that instantly reminds us of home, no matter how far away we are. This National Day, spare a little more effort in the kitchen to serve up a creative rendition of our local staple. Executive chef Lai from Yàn Restaurant shares how to cook a mouthwatering plate of Hainanese chicken glutinous rice. Of course, this includes the hero accompaniments of chicken rice chilli and blended ginger. Looks like the whole fam's in for an epic feast.
Note: Make chilli sauce and ginger paste before starting on the glutinous rice
Chilli sauce: Here's what you need
8 pieces of Fresh Red Chillies
2 pieces of Fresh Bird's Eye Chillies
50g Young Ginger, peeled
100g Garlic, peeled
Lime Juice (from 2 limes)
30g White Vinegar
150g of Water
5g of Salt
15g of Sugar
Chilli sauce: How to make it
1. Blend the red chillies, bird's eye chillies, ginger, garlic, lime juice into paste.
2. Add in the vinegar, water, salt and sugar. Mix well.
Ginger paste: Here's what you need
200g Young Ginger, peeled
300g Spring Onions, diced
30g Cooking Oil
Ginger paste: How to make it
1. Blend the ginger and spring onions till fine. Remove 70% of the liquid by pressing the paste through a sieve and set aside.
2. Heat up the oil in a pan, pour the hot oil over the ginger paste.
Hainanese chicken glutinous rice: Here's what you need
300g Chicken Thigh, cut into bite sizes
600g of Glutinous Rice
2 stalks of Lemongrass
3 Pandan Leaves
3 Lotus Leaves
150g Shallots, peeled
150g Garlic, peeled
150g Ginger, peeled
200g Oil (separated into 2 parts)
Starch water (1 tspn of flour mixed with two tbspn of water)
Hainanese chicken glutinous rice: How to make it
1. Soak the glutinous rice in water for eight hours.
2. Blend the lemongrass, ginger, shallots, and ginger, and set aside.
3. Cut the lemongrass into halves, and pound the ends a few times.
4. Add one part of the oil into a pan, heat up the oil, add pandan leaves and fry till fragrant. Remove the leaves from the pan.
5. Using the same pan, add the blended spices and lemongrass, and fry till fragrant. Add a pinch of salt and sugar for seasoning.
6. Drain off the soaking water from the glutinous rice, add the fried blend of spices, lemongrass, and pandan leaves into the rice and steam for one hour.
7. Using the same pan, add the other part of the oil and heat it up. Add chicken meat and stir fry till cooked, then add starch water and cook further to reduce the sauce. Add salt and sugar to taste.
8. Cut each lotus leaf into four sections.
9. Laying flat a lotus leaf section, arrange a portion of glutinous rice in the middle of the leaf, followed by a portion of chicken meat, and the other half portion of glutinous rice on top.
10. Arrange a lotus leaf section on top, and fold up the leaves to form a parcel.
11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 for the five remaining portions.
12. Steam the rice parcels for 15 minutes before serving.
Buro 24/7 Selection
Leave a comment
Buro 24/7 Selection