How to make churros topped with vanilla mascarpone
There's nothing more satisfying than biting into a perfectly crisp churro. After all, what's not to love about deep-fried dough? These golden brown beauties are made out of sugar, spice and everything nice, and go hand in hand with some of life's favourite dips. Try your hand at this recipe from Club Street Social's chef David Philpot, and recreate these churros topped with balsamic strawberries and vanilla mascarpone. Hesitant about the calories involved? Have it at the start of your day to offset the guilt. In Spain, it's considered normal for churros to be served at the breakfast table alongside a cup of piping hot chocolate.
Cinnamon Sugar: Here's what you need
150g Caster Sugar
½ tspn Ground Cinnamon
Cinnamon Sugar: How to make it
1. Mix the sugar and cinnamon well.
Churros: Here's what you need
5g Malden Salt
15g Olive Oil
40g Caster Sugar
250g Plain Flour
3 Eggs, beaten
Churros: How to make it
1. Place all the ingredients except the flour in a heavy pan and bring to a boil.
2. Using a wooden spoon, stir the flour quickly into the liquid till the mixture is smooth.
3. Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl. Spread over the base of the bowl, cover with cling wrap and leave it to cool till it reaches room temperature.
4. Once it's cooled, gradually mix in the egg till the mixture is smooth. Put it in a piping bag with a 2cm star nozzle.
5. Have your deep fryer on at 190°C . Carefully pipe your churros mix into the hot oil, ensuring they are about 15cm in length. As they cook, they will start to turn golden.
6. Flip them over carefully with a pair of tongs and continue cooking till they're completely golden brown.
7. Remove the churros from the deep fryer and place on a tray to drain for a minute, before tossing them in cinnamon sugar.
Balsamic strawberries: Here's what you need
100g Balsamic Vinegar
50g Orange Juice
20g Demerara Sugar
2 drops of Vanilla Essence
200g Fresh Strawberries
Balsamic strawberries: How to make it
1. Place the vinegar, orange juice, sugar and vanilla essence in a heavy pan over heat. Stir to dissolve sugar. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve.
2. Cut the strawberries into quarters.
3. Drop the strawberries in a pan over heat, then pour in the balsamic syrup. It will sizzle and start to instantly reduce. Stir it so that it coats the strawberries completely before removing from heat.
Vanilla Mascarpone: Here's what you need
5 drops Vanilla Essence
30g Hot Water
Vanilla Mascarpone: How to make it
1. Dissolve the sugar in hot water and leave it to cool.
2. Put mascarpone in a bowl and stir in the sugar syrup and vanilla essence. Beat the mixture until firm, then refrigerate.
3. To serve, place warm balsamic strawberries at the bottom of your serving bowl, top it with a generous spoon of vanilla mascarpone, then dress the hot churros tossed in cinnamon sugar.
Buro 24/7 Selection
Buro 24/7 Selection