How to make a short rib grilled cheese sandwich with kimchi
More is more
Disclaimer: this sandwich is not one for the faint-hearted. Simply because it involves sautéed kimchi and butter. Oh, and a heavy stack of boneless short rib. See what we mean? This recipe from Vatos shows you how it's done, including a tart-like marinade to tie all the wonderful flavours together. Go ahead, you deserve this weekend indulgence.
Note: Make the marinade before starting on the sandwich
Galbi Marinade: Here's what you need
1/2 Apple, cored and cubed
1/2 Onion, roughly chopped
2 Garlic Cloves
1 cup Water
½ cup Soy Sauce
½ tspn Salt
½ cup Brown Sugar
1 tbspn Sesame Oil
1 tbpsn Sesame Seeds
Galbi Marinade: How to make it
1. Combine apple, onion, garlic and puree in a mixer or food processor.
2. Add water and continue to blend.
3. Put mixture in a mixing bowl and add soy sauce, salt, brown sugar, and sesame oil and mix. Make sure the brown sugar is completely dissolved.
Short rib kimchi grilled cheese sandwich: Here's what you need
500g Boneless Short Rib (galbi)
10 slices of Sourdough Bread
5 tbspn Butter
5 slices of American Cheese
100g of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
200g of Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
5 cups of Kimchi (preferably aged)
Short rib kimchi grilled cheese sandwich: How to make it
1. Cut short rib into thin strips about 1 cm thick.
2. Add short rib to the marinade. Try to use a bowl small enough so that the short rib is completely immersed in the marinade. If not, make sure to turn the meat once or twice while marinating.
3. Marinate short rib for at least an hour in the refrigerator, but preferably overnight.
4. Cook short rib in hot frying pan (cast iron is best). Sear for 1-2 minutes each side for medium. Do not overcook. When cut into, the short rib should still be pink in the middle.
5. Toast two slices of sourdough bread with butter.
6. Sauté the kimchi in two tablespoons of butter on high heat.
7. When toasted, flip bread over and add a slice of American cheese to one of the slices of bread. Lower the heat to medium.
8. Spread the sautéed kimchi evenly on the slice of bread with American cheese.
9. Spread shredded mozzarella cheese on top of sautéed kimchi.
10. Add several slices of short rib evenly over the mozzarella cheese.
11. Spread shredded cheddar cheese on top of the short rib and place the other sourdough slice on top.
12. Press down on the sandwich with a spatula. Don't worry if some of the short rib and kimchi come out.
13. After a minute or so, carefully flip the sandwich and continue to cook until the cheese inside is melted.
14. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese in an even layer on the frying pan next to the sandwich. The cheese should be roughly the same size as the sourdough bread slice.
15. Carefully place the sandwich on top of the melting cheese. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the cheese forms a crust on the sandwich.
16. Remove from heat and serve with guacamole and hot sauce.