How to make a crab cake burger
Sink your teeth
It is possible to take things up a notch with your weekend burgers. Like making your very own crab cake patties for a change. Just follow this recipe by executive chef of Hotel Indigo Phuket Patong, Morten Nielsen who gives this tantalising stack an Asian twist with the addition of Sriracha sauce. Some experiments are worth the go.
Crab cakes: Here's what you need
1 Egg Yolk
100g Cream Cheese (softened)
60ml Panko Breadcrumbs
1 tbspn Green Onions (sliced)
1 tbspn Parsley (chopped)
1 tspn Lemon Zest
A handful of All-Purpose Flour seasoned with a little Salt and Pepper
Crab cakes: How to make it
1. Put all the ingredients for the crab cakes in a bowl and mix with your hands until all is combined. Divide in four equal portions and shape them into patties about 2cm thick. Let the patties firm up in the fridge for an hour.
2. Add the breading ingredients, flour, eggs and panko in each of the three bowls (one ingredient per bowl) and beat the eggs.
3. Flip the patties gently in the flour then transfer the flour-coated patties to the bowl with the beaten eggs and finally to the panko. For each step, ensure that the patties are fully coated as this will affect the final result when frying them.
Coleslaw: Here's what you need
100ml Sriracha Sauce
150ml Sriracha Mayonnaise (or more if you desire)
30g Pickled Jalapenos (chopped)
Coleslaw: How to make it
1. Make the Sriracha mayonnaise by mixing mayonnaise with sriracha and divide in two portions. Add chopped jalapeno to one portion and store both in the fridge..
Crab cake burger: Here's what you need
4 Burger Buns (brioche if available)
4 Crab Cake Patties
8 Butterhead Lettuce Leaves
400g Jalapeno Coleslaw
200g White Cabbage (thinly sliced)
Butter for frying the cakes
Crab cake burger: How to make it
1. Cut the burger buns in half, add a little butter and toast in the oven until nice and golden brown. Then, keep warm.
2. Slice the white cabbage thinly and set aside.
3. Fry the crab cakes in a generous amount of butter as the panko will absorb a bit of the butter. Flip the crab cakes over when they are golden brown and crispy. Spoon some of the butter over the crab cakes while frying.
4. Add a spoonful of sriracha mayonnaise to each of the top half and bottom-half of the buns.
5. Mix the cabbage with the jalapeno mayonnaise, arrange two pieces of lettuce on the bottom half of each bun and gently put the crab cakes on top.
6. Divide the coleslaw on each of the crab cakes and finish off the crab cake burger by placing the other half of the bun on top.