How to make a beetroot and sweet potato quiche
Say what you will about going meat-free, but often it forces you to resort to healthier, more beneficial sources of nutrients. For instance: instead of the sequence of bacon, cheese, followed by more bacon in a quiche, your options could be centered around sweet potato, chia seeds, rolled oats and raw grated beetroot. The best part? It might just taste better than the calorie-inducing choice. Try your hand at this healthful pastry with this recipe from Lisa Guy.
Beetroot quiche: Here's what you need
½ cup Almond Meal
1/3 cup Wholemeal Spelt Flour
¼ cup Chia Seeds
1 cup Rolled Oats
A pinch of Sea Salt
80g Organic Grass-fed Butter
1 cup Diced Sweet Potato (about ½ medium sweet potato)
1 small Onion, finely chopped
240g raw grated Beetroot (around 1 medium beetroot)
1 small sprig Fresh Rosemary
3 cloves Onion, crushed
2 tbspn Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tbspn Raw Honey
A Pinch of Sea Salt and Pepper
A handful Fresh Mint, roughly chopped
4 Organic Eggs
100 ml Organic Milk of choice
A handful of Crumbled Feta
Beetroot quiche: How to make it
1. Preheat oven to 180*C.
2. Place all base ingredients in your food processor (except butter) and blend until you have a fine well combined mixture. Add the butter and pulse. Add around two to three tbspns of water, adding a tablespoon at a time until your mixture forms a dough-like consistency.
3. Grease a round quiche tin with some butter and then line the bottom with baking paper.
4. Press the base mixture down into the tin and press it out evenly so it comes all the way up the sides. Try to make the base as thin as you can. With a fork, make some holes in the bottom of your base.
5. Put the base in the oven for 13 minutes, then set aside.
6. Lightly brush your sweet potato pieces with olive oil and then bake them in the oven for around 30-35 minutes until soft. While they're cooking you will have time to prepare your filling.
7. In a large frying pan over medium heat saute the onion for 4-5 minutes in some olive oil. Add the beetroot, garlic and rosemary and cook for a further 10 minutes. Add the apple cider vinegar, honey, mint and sea salt and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes, then set aside.
8. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and milk and then add the beetroot mix.
9. Pour the egg mixture over your base then top with sweet potato and feta and decorate with nuts or seeds of your choice.
10. Put your quiche in the oven for 50-55 minutes until it starts to brown and a knife comes out cleanly from the centre.
Leave a comment
Buro 24/7 Selection