Coffee jargons to know on World Coffee Day: What's a chemex, V60, or 'Magic'?

Coffee jargons to know on World Coffee Day: What's a chemex, V60, or 'Magic'?

Barista speak

Text: Janice Sim

It's World Coffee Day. With the third wave of coffee grinding its firm stance in Singapore, you might have already discovered a deeper, more profound appreciation of a trusty pourover (despite the longer waiting time), apart from rekindling with a cup of robust kopi whenever you can.

For those who still don't, you might feel a tad annoyance just by hearing the exchanges and terminologies that go on in a swanky coffee shop. Add to that, a dash of curiosity to what these jargons mean. So here's a rough breakdown of what they really are — use it for the better — whether for self-improvement or name-dropping it just to throw off your coffee snob of a friend.

It's a pourover glass coffee apparatus, that produces filter coffee manually. A filter paper goes on it, followed by beans that have already been grinded. Hot water is slowly poured in a circular motion, until coffee is percolated at the bottom. Brewing coffee on the Chemex results in a slower process, with a richer cup of coffee.

Ross Friends Chemex

It looks a little like the Chemex, but the V60 is a product from Hario, a Japanese glassware company. Filter papers are thinner than the ones used on the Chemex, with a slight difference in the coffee produced as well.

Short for restricted espresso. Instead of the full shot from the espresso machine, a ristretto only consists of the first half of the shot of the coffee. In this, there's less water used — hence resulting in a more concentrated, and purer shot.

Those who love ristrettos, would by default, love a magic. Essentially, a double ristretto with steamed milk poured over.

Magic coffee

Single origin
Coffee that's sourced from one single producer or a single farm. They tend to be more expensive and sought after than blended coffees.

A mix of two or more single-origin coffees.

Definitely not the macchiato you should expect to see at Starbucks. If you're in the right place, your order should come in a an espresso that's marked with a dash of milk. In Italian, "macchiato" means stained.

It's foam, but not milk foam. It is a dark tan layer formed on the surface of a espresso shot that's been freshly pulled. Baristas usually use it as a benchmark to gauge if their coffee is caliberated right.


It's used to describe how the coffee feels in your mouth — just like mouthfeel — leading up to terms like heavy-bodied or medium-bodied.

Some coffees are more tangy than others. For those, you can drop 'acidic' into the feedback.

Peruse our list of cafes that serve good coffee in Singapore.

Related articles

Buro 24/7 Selection

Leave a comment