Alas, the spring/summer 2016 drop is upon us. Finally, weather appropriate gear for our endless summer clime. (Well, kinda. I mean, these European and American designers have no idea what humidity really means. When is the government going to build a massive dome over Singapore — à la Gardens by the Bay style — and introduce seasons? Think of all the winter fashions! Okay, I digress.) But so many menswear shows, so many looks to filter through, and so many options. Well, luckily for you, we've already done all the hard work.
Scroll down for 11 of the hottest (pun unintended) menswear trends to start incorporating into your Rolodex of go-to looks.
1. THE BAD ASS BLOUSON Or 'bomber', if you're that way inclined. Whatever you call it, this cropped jacket-slash-top-slash-overshirt is ruling the runways. Invest in one now.
2. TAKE FLIGHT WITH A JUMPSUIT Just ask Derek Zoolander, onesies are so hot right now. Who needs to go to the bathroom when you can be this good-looking? And, since there's no need to coordinate your outfit, it makes getting dressed in the morning that much easier. Win.
3. SLICK SWEATS The 'casualisation of menswear' continues. If you're not a fan of the head-to-toe tracksuit look, break it up with more tailored pieces — try a buttoned-up shirt or a louche overcoat — and then carry it off with plenty of 'tude.
4. DOUBLE-DOWN ON DBs And in this case, what we're really advocating is wearing a double-breasted waistcoat or thin DB blazer under a single-breasted jacket. Dude, dapper is not dead.
5. NIGHT WEAR AS DAY WEAR When it comes to wearing your PJs in public, less is definitely more. Pair a pyjama top with a structured blazer or venture out in silk bottoms under an elongated top coat. Think: Tasteful accents rather than the full monty.
6. NECK IT From Riccardo Tisci's oversized keys at Givenchy to the 'scrunchie' necklaces at Sacai, if you want to make a statement, wear it around your neck. The fashion designer's equivalent to hip-hop bling.
7. SUMMER SUEDE I know what you're thinking: Oxymoron. And ridiculous for Singapore. But if chosen wisely — some are cut as thin as paper — and paired loosely over a cotton or linen shirt, you too can look this suave in suede without sweating buckets. Also, you do travel right?
8. EXCEL IN EXOTICS Make them stop, drop and drool with an Hermès snake bomber or a Dior Homme croc coat. Gorgeous from afar, deliciously decadent up close. Do it.
9. PLAY THE LONG GAME With an elongated scarf. Whether you wear it with one end tucked into a blazer, draped nochalantly at the neck, or casually secured with a single knot, the key to the new spring/summer scarf is to keep it light and long.
10. FRESH FIELD JACKETS For the adventurer, this utilitarian staple comes rehashed this season with larger patch pockets (why, all the better to store your field notes) and is available in luxurious leather (thank you, Kim Jones), streamlined and belted (cheers Canali), embellished with contrast trimmings (kudos to Coach), and all-white for sizzling summers (appreciate it, Phillip Lim).
11. BANK ON A BILLOWING COAT Hands-down, my favourite trend this season. Add instant street cachet with the full-bodied, but lightweight, dramatic coat. Go one size bigger (don't worry about it rolling off your shoulders) for that déshabillé cool.
Check back every Monday for another @MusingMutley column from Norman Tan, Editor-in-Chief of Buro 24/7 Singapore. For more columns from @MusingMutley, click here.