Sneak peek: Five things to know about Ong Shunmugam’s cruise 2016 collection
1. The cruise 2016 collection is inspired by the impact of the Japanese occupation on Southeast Asia.
2. Like all her collections that are deep-seated in history, this one studies the Japanese occupation of World War II and the vital changes it has made on Southeast Asian history and politics.
3. It will be a collection of 28 looks showcasing traditional Japanese silhouettes using textiles from Myanmar, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, and of course, Singapore.
4. Stepping away from her signature qipao designs, expect re-interpretations of the kimono broken down and reconstructed carefully into modern wardrobe pieces.
5. A first to go down in Singapore Fashion Week history, the designer has chosen an all Asian army of models to walk her show. The 17 girls she cast hail from Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Mongolia, China, Taipei and Korea.