ICYMI: Kim Jones x Kaws for Dior Homme, Raf Simons' return to Paris, Virgil Abloh's Louis Vuitton debut, Melania Trump's message to the world
Fashion by the 'gram
18 - 24 June
1. Takashi Murakami and Virgil Abloh collaborate on artwork and T-shirts Murakami and Virgil Abloh's collaborative exhibition and T-shirt was unveiled yesterday in the 8th arrondissement's Gagosian Gallery in Paris. While there was a queue to purchase the tees, few entered the gallery to view the actual work, making us question the extent (and emptiness) of the hype.
2. Raf Simons and Undercover's Jun Takahashi threw a co-party After returning to Paris from New York for his eponymous show this season, Raf Simons and close friend Jun Takahashi of Undercover threw a joint party. We spotted a bouncer — stationed at the entrance of the party's private area on the second level — asking Simons for his pass before letting him enter, to which the designer did as requested, good naturedly, despited being checked at his own party. After, he took the time to bring drinks down to the dance floor for his friends. What a champ.
3. Kris Van Assche makes known a new direction at Berluti This season's musical chairs at the men's fashion weeks began with Kris Van Assche at Berluti. Below, his first campaign unveiled earlier this week.
4. Virgil Abloh debuts at Louis Vuitton We heard that Abloh — who showed Off-White on the first day of PMFW — looked stressed after the runway wrapped and he stepped out for his bow. Well, given the behemoth undertaking that is his debut at Louis Vuitton just a day later, we emphatise with the man. He went on to show brightly coloured plastic accessories, highlighter hues and a palpable Wizard of Oz inspiration at LV.
5. Kim Jones enlists Kaws' Brian Donnelly for his Dior Homme debut Jones' first collection and show for Dior Homme generated buzz like no other. With about a 100 celebrities in attendance — from A$AP Rocky to Victoria and Brooklyn Beckham and Robert Pattinson — sat around a ten metre tall Kaws statue, it was pretty epic. And then the historic bee motif of the house was edited to feature Donnelly's signature crossed eyes from Kaws. 'Nuff said.
6. Nike dropped the React Element 87 — which sold out immediately Another day, another coveted Nike sneaker from the brand that doesn't need collaborations to sell out a silhouette.
8. Melania Trump's Zara jacket made headlines for all the wrong reasons On her way to visit a migrant child detention centre in Texas (where immigrant toddlers and children hoping to cross the US border with their families are forcibly seperated from their guardians indefinitely), First Lady Melania Trump wore a jacket bearing the slogan, "I really don't care, do u?" to harsh criticism.