ICYMI: Sophie Turner marries, Halima Aden in Sports Illustrated, and Blake Lively's maternity style
Fashion by the 'gram
1. Game of Thrones actress Sophie Turner married Joe Jonas at a top-secret ceremony in Las Vegas.
Jonas and Turner's wedding took place shortly after the 2019 Billboard Music Awards; the bride wore a silk jumpsuit which sent the fashion world scouring the internet for its designer (in case you're wondering, it's from Ukrainian label Bevza).
2. Halima Aden became the first hijabi model featured in Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue.
3. Dior, Prada and Chanel kicked off the 2020 cruise/resort/pre-spring/whatever-you-want-to-call-it season.
Maria Grazia Chiuri flew guests to Marrakech for a starlit runway show and an afterparty set by legendary pop icon Diana Ross. Prada, meanwhile, decamped to New York, and Virginie Viard showed her first solo collection for Chanel on home turf at Paris's Grand Palais.
4. Dover Street Market Singapore teased the impending arrival of Sacai's collaboration with tattoo artist Dr Woo.
5. Alexandra Shulman, former editor in-chief of British Vogue, came under fire for an ageist column that attacked '90s supermodel Helena Christensen.
Shulman publicly disdained a black bustier worn by Christensen to Gigi Hadid's birthday party; objectionable, slut-shaming extracts from her Daily Mail opinion piece include "when women’s bodies no longer serve any child-bearing purpose, we find flaunting them disturbing and slightly tragic. I don’t claim that this is fair. But it’s true" and "there’s nothing wrong in wishing to be desirable... (but) one of the great plusses of growing older is gaining the confidence and freedom to value yourself as something other than a sexual object".
The ex-editor, who was regularly criticised for the lack of diversity at British Vogue under her leadership, was rightfully savaged on social media by former collaborators Linda Evangelista, Naomi Campbell and Karen Elson.
6. Forever 21's Indian office faced major backlash for one of its Instagram posts.
When verified account @forever21_in shared the work of anti-fast fashion activist Elizabeth Illing, few found the joke funny; the internet was quick to decry the trivialising of its contributions to the world's second most polluting industry.
7. Blake Lively debuted her third baby bump at the New York premiere of Detective Pikachu.
Lively, who famously works without a stylist, opted for a yellow dress by New York-based label Retrofête — possibly a cute nod to the movie's titular character, who is played by Lively's husband Ryan Reynolds.
Buro 24/7 Selection