ICYMI: Cannes Film Festival red carpet, Taiwan's same-sex marriage vote, and the end of Victoria's Secret's runway show
Fashion by the 'gram
1. THE CANNES FILM FESTIVAL RED CARPET HIT SOME GLAMOROUS HIGH NOTES.
2. TAIWAN'S HISTORIC MARRIAGE EQUALITY VOTE WAS PRECEDED BY SARTORIAL PROTEST.
Love ultimately prevailed, but in the leadup, Taiwanese men wore skirts to advocate for same-sex marriage and to protest gender stereotyping; the movement even earned support, controversially, on Chinese platform Weibo.
3. VICTORIA'S SECRET DISCONTINUED ITS ANNUAL, TELEVISED RUNWAY FASHION SHOW.
Leslie Wexler (CEO of the brand's parent company) wrote in a memo to associates: "Fashion is a business of change. We must evolve and change to grow. With that in mind, we have decided to re-think the traditional Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show."
4. COMEDIAN WHOOPI GOLDBERG LAUNCHED A FASHION LINE WITH AMAZON.
The EGOT (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony) winner, who's long been known for her love of out-there fashions and footwear, titled her new venture Dubgee; could this be the first of a wave of comedian-led brands?
5. NAOMI WATANABE BECAME THE NEW FACE OF ONITSUKA TIGER.
6. THE CFDA AWARDED BARBIE ITS BOARD OF DIRECTORS' TRIBUTE AWARD.
Previous recipients have included Michelle Obama and Gloria Steinem. Barbie's CFDA win sparked ire, notably from the likes of Pulitzer Prize-winning fashion critic Robin Givhan, who questioned why a fictional character deserved the prize more than a real-life woman.
7. FASHION-FAVOURITE DJ HONEY DIJON ANNOUNCED HER NEW FASHION LINE WITH COMME DES GARÇONS.
Dijon, who is a transgender woman of colour, thanked CDG on Instagram for the opportunity to represent queer, black women in the fashion industry.
8. STELLA MCCARTNEY UNVEILED A PARTNERSHIP WITH GOOGLE CLOUD.
The duo aim to make tracking the source and environmental impact of raw materials more transparent, with the use of analytics.
9. MR PORTER AND ON PEDDER DROPPED SOME COVETABLE EXCLUSIVES.
CDLP x Grand Hotel Tremezzo's collab landed at Mr Porter; the collection features swimwear made partially from recycled ocean plastic. On Pedder, meanwhile, released its Exclusively Ours shoe capsule with Gianvito Rossi, Malone Souliers and René Caovilla.
Buro 24/7 Selection