ICYMI: Beyoncé's wardrobe sparks debate, Pantone is seeing coral for 2019, and Gosha Rubchinskiy: cancelled?
Fashion by the 'gram
1. Beyoncé found herself in the middle of a music-world sexism debate.
This week Beyoncé made headlines for her Global Citizen Festival stage outfits, which included a head-to-toe yellow Atelier Versace look and a hyperbolically large Ashi Studio gown. When she wore the latter lewk to perform with Ed Sheeran, who was dressed in a T-shirt and jeans, many observers questioned if it was fair for to expect endless glamour and multiple costume changes from female artists, and almost nothing style-wise from men. Others suggested that the two artists were essentially opposed in music and performance styles, casting the disparity between their outfits as a matter of artistic choice instead of systemic sexism.
2. Pantone declared 'living coral' the colour of 2019.
A colour choice with a social conscience: the fact that they had to qualify the 'living' part was a reminder that climate change-related coral bleaching is totally a thing.
3. Gosha Rubchinskiy allegedly solicited nude photos from an underaged follower.
After screenshots of the messages went viral (of course), all posts from the designer's Instagram account mysteriously vanished. Rubchinskiy has since released a statement claiming that the messages were misinterpreted, and that the exchange was for a social media-based model casting.
5. Balmain's redesigned logo drew fire from Diet Prada.
Similarities to the logo of '80s-'90s knit titan Laura Biagiotti were cited, with Balmain supporters arguing that fashion's broader move towards more minimal, sans-serif fonts meant that the logos would naturally resemble each other.
6. Versace used Lady Liberty's torch as the centrepiece of its New York runway set.
In its first presentation since the brand's acquisition by Michael Kors' Capri Holdings, the Italian brand set out to remind everyone that — new, American backers notwithstanding — its DNA will forever remain cento per cento italiano.
7. Collabs, collabs, collabs: Nike x Ambush gave us runway-ready athletic gear, while Vivienne Westwood for Burberry delivered an English trifecta.
Kate Moss, in Vivienne Westwood-designed Burberry check could not get any more English. Also, faux fur at the gym? Weird flex, but ok...
8. Converse x Hello Kitty: Kitty remains a blue-chip fashion star, and don't you forget it, motherf—cker.
Much is uncertain and confusing in 2018, but the joy sparked by Hello Kitty merch is eternal (side note: if you haven't yet watched the Hello Kitty episode of The Toys that Made Us on Netflix, do it)