You don't have to be decked out in a bespoke Saville Row suit, or a couture dress, to feel marvellous. And keeping up with the trends? Sure, take note. Incorporate. Enjoy. But, for a sustained bout of endorphin-inducing pleasure, learn to invest in small little luxuries that make you feel good. All day, every day, Hyundai.
Why don't you buy yourself a bracelet that you can wear all year round? Go visit an apothecary and pick out a scent that lifts your spirits. How about investing in a watch that makes you smile every time you check the time? Stop procrastinating. Start living. And it doesn't have to be expensive. Take a leaf out of Iris Apfel's style book: "I never buy anything just because it's valuable. My husband used to say I took a piece of fabric and listen to the threads. It tells me a story. I have to get a physical reaction when I buy something. A coup de foudre — a bolt of lightning."
Here are some of my favourite pieces. Daily luxuries that, to paraphrase Apfel, strike me down. What about you? What gets you going?
1. TAKE A WHIFF OF THIS What: An assortment of modern potions in the form of Aēsop balms, Byredo fragrances and Frederic Malle eau du parfums. Why: Instant pick-me-ups. The sharp scent of mandarin, the warm caress of bergamot, the sensual allure of vetiver.
2. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT What: Avocado on multi-grain toast seasoned with salt and pepper, garnised with chives, and balanced with a dollop of cream cheese. Washed down with fresh OJ and a strong flat white. Why: That crunch of toast between your teeth. That heady gulp of strong coffee waking up your body. Morning rituals that taste good, feel good, and is good.
3. GOD IS IN THE DETAILS What: A classic Rolex Datejust II automatic timepiece, and rings in the form of Chanel Coco Crush and Trinity de Cartier. Why:That famous Swiss accuracy and perfection.That mattelassé finish and scalloped edges on the Coco Crush. The tactile clinking of white-gold against black ceramic in the Trinity de Cartier. Hand-crafted. Precious. Daily decadence.
4. ALL WRAPPED UP What: Burberry heritage trench coat, Westminster style with raglan sleeves. Why: For carefree weekends. For that unmistakable classic silhouette. For protection against the elements. For that brush of cotton gabardine against your skin.
5. BAGGING RIGHTS What: Louis Vuitton Keepall 55 in monogram canvas. Why: The art of travel. The pride of ownership. The faithful travel companion that will develop a honeyed leather patina as a reminder of your adventures.
6. A TOAST TO GOOD TASTE What: Hermès Cheval d'Orient tea cup and saucer accompanied with a Christofle Aria teaspoon. Why: Because every day should be golden. That clink of sterling-silver on the saucer. That touch of gold-painted fine porcelain to your lips.