On Buro's recent trip to Bali, we shopped our hearts out at the best stores on the island of sun, sand and sea. Here's our picks to satisfy the shopaholic in you
Not all stores in Bali are geared towards the essentials for island attire. Although many are, and from which we've sieved a handful with the best curations, there's more to the cacophonous streets of Seminyak than cheesy surf and souvenir shops. Just take a gander around the area and you'll be greeted with a hoard of stylish labels that run the gamut from the minimalistic to the quirky.
There is definitely something for everyone, but the best stores in our opinion are those that marry drinks, eats and buys all in one space. Nothing sates a shopper like unwinding with a relaxing cuppa post-splurge.
Rounding up the bold, bright and beachy, here are our top 10 picks of boutiques to get your goods at — and refuel while you're at it — when you're in Bali.
1. Būro Concept store Buro 24/7 Singapore and the Būro Concept store in Bali might be entirely unrelated, but that didn't stop us from falling in love with it at first sight. Combining food, beverage and retail (menswear and womenswear) in one space, the glass and wooden panelling of the store houses a tight selection of local designers such as Nikicio and Jan Sober that stoked our fancy. Throw in the discerning collection of Sunday Somewhere sunglasses and timepieces by Simpl Watch and we were sold. Just like our pop-up, the furniture in their store is up for grabs. What can we say? Great minds think alike.
Buro Concept store is located at Jl. Petitenget No.88x, 2nd floor, Kerobokan, Kuta Utara, Depansar.
2. Magali Pascal Silk, lace and suede. Basically a fabric fanatic's fantasy in calming neutrals. Cream white shoestring tops, wispy dresses and desert ready clay fringed suede jackets caught our eye. Founded by a French designer based in Bali, it's the epitome of effortless chic on the island. Looking for pyjamas a tad sexier than a ratty old tee? Pick up the delicate blush pink satin camisole and shorts combi. It's what you wear when you Instagram that morning coffee and pancakes on white sheets.
Magali Pascal is located at Jl. Raya Petitenget No.900, Seminyak, Bali, Indonesia.
3. This is a Love Song Think Miley Cyrus and Iggy Azalea. Because these are just some of the starlets that shop at This is a Love Song. With sporty bralets as tops, pop art jumpers and leather snapbacks, it's really not hard to see why. Enter this boutique if you're looking to pick up some 'tude, but make sure you have the balls to back it up.
This is a Love Song is located at Jl. Kayu Aya, Denpasar, Kabupaten Badung, Bali, Indonesia.
4. Bali Boat Shed Bali Boat Shed is one of those places where it's a one-stop wonder to get island ready. Zany hawaiian printed shirts from Green Rock, swim shorts, and even basic T-shirts are part of the man's beachside arsenal. The ladies have their kaftans, bikinis, and tongue-in-cheek embroidered and embellished denim jackets. Nab your holiday essentials here and you're all set for the fine Balinese sand.
Bali Boat Shed is located at Jl. Kayu Aya No.22A, Seminyak, Bali, Indonesia.
5. Lulu Yasmine Your go-to store to indulge in party gear for night time debauchery, Lulu Yasmine has a clean palette sprinkled with a little sass in the form of ethnic beading and tasselled accessories. Inky tones interspersed with cream and terracotta hues are the mainstay. Flash a little sparkle with the intricate beading on drapey dresses, or clean up well in minimalistic yet cosy camis with lace inserts - it's all about the peek-a-boo detailing here.
Lulu Yasmine is located at Jl. Raya Petitenget No. 100XX, Bali, Indonesia.
6. Mister Zimi For the lady that appreciates the little quirks in life. Striking colour-blocking and bold florals are splashed across shift and maxi dresses. The plus point? It's oh-so-versatile. Decked in the signature blue, yellow and green blooms from Mister Zimi, you'll look right at home reclining in a cabana or dancing the night away with a mojito in hand.
Mister Zimi is located at Jl. Kayu Aya No. 22, Seminyak, Bali, Indonesia.
7. Deus Ex Machina As the name suggests, it's all about the power at Deus Ex Machina. Or in this case, testosterone channelled through a fine edit of sunglasses (Henry Holland, Ksubi and Le Specs), Jack Purcells, and the house brand. The Deus Ex Machina line is a mash-up of hipster, beach and masculine vibes ideal for the tattooed biker with facial foliage and a man bun. Cruise on your motorcycle to check out their café that's located a tad further away, and recharge with the cornucopia of green plates and Japanese and Italian infused dishes.
Deus Ex Machina is located at Jl. Kayu Aya No. 22, Seminyak, Bali, Indonesia and the flagship and café is located at Jl. Batu Mejan 8, Canggu, Bali, Indonesia.
8. Shakuhachi Broderie anglaise, safari shirt dresses, graphic prints and clean minimalistic lines, the Aussie brand based in Bali is indeed the jack of all trades. If you're headed out to indulge in new threads with a group of girlfriends, make Shakuhachi your main stop to ensure that no one gets left out. Thank us after you shop in peace without having to pander to those with varying tastes.
Shakuhachi is located at Jl. Seminyak No.55, Kuta, Bali, Indonesia.
9. Drifter Surf Shop Step off those waves and take a moment to set foot into the Drifter Surf Shop and café. Purveying Pantagonia gear for the serious surfers, RVCA bucket hats and matching boho swim shorts and towels, it's the candy shop for beach bound lads. Pump up the adrenaline with a shot of espresso brewed from fragrant Sumatran beans, or get your vitamins by knocking back a wheat grass shot. It'll help tide over that paddle out to sea.
Drifter Surf Shop is located at Jl. Oberoi No.50, Seminyak, Bali.
10. Natasha Gan A must-do pit stop for the bohemian girl at heart. Think brilliant pops of colour — including Rasta shades — in a fine mesh of embroidered tribal prints from this Australian label. Tops and dresses with strategic cut-outs and beaded woven bracelets will have you on point for beachside jamborees. Looking for a tasteful yet atypical souvenir to take home? Return with a token to remind you of the carefree island life by picking up one of their pom-pom taselled tribal printed pillows.
Natasha Gan is located at Jl. Raya Seminyak No.61A, Kuta, Kabupaten Badung, Bali, Indonesia.
To view more insider tips from our #BuroInBali guide, click here.