Milan Men's Fashion Week fall/winter 2019: MSGM Turbo, Prada's Army, and the Dsquared2 Rave
TWO MOST SURPRISING MOMENTS
1. Prada's stylish army went on the fashion battlefield with love. With military inspired references, these soldiers of love stomped Fondazione with brilliance. Softening the tough world with fashion, Miuccia Prada borrowed the symbols of trashy horror movies from Frankenstein to The Rocky Horror Picture Show, mentioning that "Frankenstein is the example of the monster with a big, big heart who searches for love." It was a romantic performance lit by 120 oversized lightbulbs shimmering the dark theatrical runway. Models walk, distanced from the crowd, through an artificial terrain made of dimly lit glass and soft spiky foam, evoking a mysterious and uncanny atmosphere. They wore dark (grey and black) boxy suits with epaulets and pockets. A contemporary lineage to the military romance had lightning bolts stricken across shirts, sweaters with safety-pinned felt hearts, and marabou trimmings on trapper hats and shoulders. This heroic and amorous interpretation of battle gear invasion has us saluting in a uniform-inflected line. March on, Prada!
2. Unexpected. Receiving the MSGM show invite with a black cap emblazoned with the word 'turbo', we knew it would be an automobile related collection, perhaps dirt biking or racing. But is this MSGM? Would it be a cliché collection? Surpassing expectations, MSGM raced our hearts with a motocross collection inspired by the racing driver, Ayrton Senna. "MSGM is evolving. Speed has always been at our heart, the fast passion of life. What do we do as we grow? We go faster," says Massimo Giorgetti, creative director of MSGM. Celebrating speed, grey and beige suits and double-breasted boxy-cut wool blazers are dressed with flame prints on poplin shirts and trousers, while eco-leather sporty pieces such as the padded bombers (worn over suits), bright-coloured parkas and trucker jackets elevated the brand's attitude of velocity. This speed racer collection hurtled down the runway track with bold ambitions - careening through the competition amongst millennials.
FOUR TRENDIEST ACCESSORIES
1. MSGM's leather shoes and square-toed boots are joined by the classic Fila Silva trainer, that's been given an MSGM update.
2. MSGM's versatile body bags can be worn in so many different ways.
3. Prada's triple-belting on boxy-cut suits.
4. Prada's micro bags, some worn as necklaces.
SEVEN FAVOURITE LOOKS
1. MSGM look #36: Flame prints in fire-engine red on poplin shirts and matching straight pants.
2. MSGM look #4: Black-and-white scenes from the 80s Japanese football cartoon Holly & Benji are woven as jacquards for coats.
3. MSGM look #25: A red eco-leather blouson is embroidered with the Madonnina of Milan's skyline.
4. Prada look #46: Marabou trimmings on trapper hats and shoulders.
5. Prada look #59: A contemporary lineage to the military romance had felt hearts safety-pinned across the heart on the sweaters of the closing looks.
6. Dsquared2 look #1: Tie-dye psychedelic tones and patterns throughout the collection.
7. Dsquared2 look #41: Holographic anoraks for the rockstars of mountain climbing.
Buro 24/7 Selection