Paris Fashion Week fall/winter 2019: Vivienne Westwood, Hermès, and Tommy Hilfiger x Zendaya
TWO MOST SURPRISING MOMENTS
1. Opening the Vivienne Westwood physical invitation, a nude image of designer Andreas Kronthaler taking a mirror selfie stared back, a gentle reminder that it’s all about him now. The show hashtag #AKAW1920 doesn’t really translate to ‘Andreas Kronthaler for Vivienne Westwood’... Anyway, during the finale, Kronthaler did walk towards dame Vivienne Westwood (who sat frow), kissed her and took her up onstage, leading her to walk ahead of him while they both continue to take their final bows. That was endearing, and my faith in him returned after that body-baring selfie...
2. Blast from the past: ‘TommyNow starring Tommy x Zendaya’ in neon light signage lit up the entrance of Théâtre des Champs-Élysées. Holding our roller skater invites, we squeezed our way through the mob of Zendaya fans and found ourselves in an inviting atmosphere of a retro club-arcade. Old-school game machines and roller skates rental counter scream stay and play, while the runway transformed into a skating rink with about 20 youngsters rhythmically gliding across polished floors with nostalgic hits reverberating through our bodies. This interior would not be out of place in Saturday Night Fever.
FOUR TRENDIEST ACCESSORIES
1. Mesmerising silver fringe headpiece at Andreas Kronthaler for Vivienne Westwood fall/winter 2019, these shimmering silver beaded chains swag with Egyptian vibes.
2. Provocative thigh-high patent socks worn at Andreas Kronthaler for Vivienne Westwood fall/winter 2019, stayed firmly seductive under dresses on its own. How do they stay up, though?
3. Slouchy and soft, Hermès introduces a new oversized versatile tote bag. The stylish way to carry it (in this season) is to fold it and clamp it under your arms or hold it like a clutch. It comes with a shoulder strap when your arms get tired.
4. The classic ladylike shoulder bag is another take from Hermès. Structured and comes in a smaller size, this is the bag you want to carry on a date night to the opera.
SEVEN FAVOURITE LOOKS
1. Vivienne Westwood fall/winter 2019 look #17: fringing at its best. Brimming along the face, on the shoulders, and the suede coat lining its silhouette. Wear it all at once for maximum impact.
2. Hermès fall/winter 2019 look #20: hemlines have risen, it’s been a long time for Hermès since pins are revealed. No doubt still in leather (always!), these nappa soft shorts go hand in hand with equestrian Couvertures et tenues du jour print silk blouses for romantic journeys. Shorts are making a comeback most sensuously.
3. Hermès fall/winter 2019 look #44: teal green has never been this beautiful at Hermès. Emancipating masculinity in refined tailoring, and staying true to its luxury codes, this leather blouson layered over a teal-green casaque blouse and glove-like trousers is complemented with (another) ladylike structure handbag.
4. Hermès fall/winter 2019 look #47: Nadège Vanhee-Cybulski, creative director of Hermès womenswear, created contemporary outerwear pieces that fit the wardrobe of an upwardly mobile woman, where double-face coats blend the classic and the eccentric.
5. Tommynow: TommyxZendaya look #21: plus-size models’ appearance such as this flattering wide pinstripe two-piece suit was cheered by the crowd, celebrating women of all shapes and sizes.
6. Tommynow: TommyxZendaya look #28: a kaleidoscope of rainbow coloured prints takes us back to childhood-defining moments when we view the world with curiosity. At the same time, Halima Aden shows us that modesty is equally chic.
7. Tommynow: TommyxZendaya look #70: honouring black beauty with artists as models such as Grace Jones and Pat Cleveland, Tommy Hilfiger and Zendaya celebrate diversity with style. Metallic jumpsuits in flare wide leg pants (complete with an afro) made us stand and dance to the ‘70s disco tunes reverberating through our bodies.