Paris Fashion Week fall/winter 2019: Chanel and Sacai
TWO MOST SURPRISING MOMENTS
1. Three levels down into the basement of Palais de Tokyo, we received no internet nor WiFi at Sacai fall/winter 2019 show. The dark underground venue saw chairs placed in an S-shaped choreography, winding and turning at tight corners. Models walked past so quickly that even the journalists/ influencers whine about the blurry shots on their DSLR cameras (well, guess that's why we have a photographers’ pit). The collection, though, was a splendid presentation of Chitose Abe's brilliance as a master of proportions.
2. Prior to the most anticipated show of PFW, we were advised not to wear heels to the Chanel fall/winter 2019 show. Last season, we watched the spring/summer 2019 collection on a golden beach at the Grand Palais. How would the venue be transformed this time? Enter the mountain-backed wintry landscape of an alpine village, complete with fake snow, charming wooden chalets, and parabolic skis. Chanel in the snow. The show started with a minute of silence in honour of Karl Lagerfeld, with the models lined up in front of the Chanel chalet. It was the quietest minute ever, not a single flash or mutter. There were tears from the start to the end of the show, with a standing ovation for the late Kaiser Karl. Despite his recent loss, the beat goes on...
FOUR TRENDIEST ACCESSORIES
1. Leopard-print laced sandals (sans heels) were styled with half the Sacai fall/winter 2019 runway looks. Hallelujah, comfort never look so stylish.
2. Skirt overlay with folds, add this to an existing outfit, and there you go, joining the Chitose army at Sacai.
3. Necklaces were chained and tiered to complete the snow-inspired outfits at Chanel fall/winter 2019.
4. A new iconic Chanel bag that resembles an enclosed ski lift adds a sparkling glamour to chic alpine wear. We are also loving the matching cuff.
SEVEN FAVOURITE LOOKS
1. Sacai fall/winter 2019 look #12: master of proportion, Chitose Abe brilliantly rework trenches and outerwear by playing with volume, layering and splicing up different fabrics.
2. Sacai fall/winter 2019 look #14: paint splatters done right on this sleeveless puffy vest-coat.
3. Sacai fall/winter 2019 look #29: chic knitwear with zips that you can undo throughout the garment during temporal changes in weather (we just witnessed sun and repeated rain in Paris).
4. Chanel fall/winter 2019 look #1: Cara Delevingne, a muse of Karl Lagerfeld, led the show with a houndstooth overcoat with a wide-legged pants suit.
5. Chanel fall/winter 2019 look #40: wide check in vibrant hues, such as colour-blocking pink (trending shade for this season).
6. Chanel fall/winter 2019 look #47: knit dresses went hand in hand with puffer jackets. This last collection by Karl Lagerfeld incorporated the sporty element of ski with the delicacy of snow.
7. Chanel fall/winter 2019 look #70: snow angels wore white chiffon and feather skirts with snowflakes. One of them was Penelope Cruz who paid tribute to Karl by walking in the show holding a white rose.