5 things to know about Harry Kane, the current top scorer at World Cup 2018
After Harry Kane scored a hat-trick in England’s victorious 6-1 World Cup win over Panama yesterday, the 24-year-old's set to win the golden boot. Here are things you might not know about the football player
1. He is now the top goal scorer of the 2018 World Cup England's sixth goal against Panama during yesterday's World Cup match turned the match to be one of the country's most one-sided World Cup victories, entering England into the World Cup knock-out qualifications. Kane is the third England player to score the hat-trick in the game after Geoff Hurst in 1966 and Gary Linker in 1986. His three goals for England yesterday and two goals in the match against Tunisia last Tuesday make him the current top goal scorer of the 2018 World Cup, where he has also scored the most goals for England at a World Cup in 28 years.
2. He was once rejected by Arsenal Harry Kane was eight when he played for Ridgeway Rovers, the same junior club where Beckham began his career. He was then scouted by Arsenal but was released from the club's academy a year later because he was "chubby" and "not very athletic" according to the club's former academy chief, Liam Brady. However, the dismissal from Arsenal proved to be a blessing in disguise as Kane was renewed with a drive to prove them wrong. In his first senior appearance against Arsenal in 2015, Kane scored both Spurs goals for Tottenham in a 2-1 victory.
3. He almost played for Ireland instead of England Before his 2015 breakthrough season in the Premier League, Kane's agent approached Martin O'Neill, manager of the Irish national football team to convey the striker's interest in playing for the Republic of Ireland. Kane's parents are both Irish with roots from Connemara, making him eligible to play for the country. However, he has always been determined to represent the place of his birth, England, instead. His stellar strikes cemented him a spot in Tottenham Hotspur where Kane signed a new six-year contract earlier this month.
4. His football idol, Teddy Sheringham, named him the best striker in the world Teddy Sheringham was reputed as a star striker and was one of Kane's favourite England players. Kane used to watch Sheringham's clips where he analysed and even expressed a wish to play with Sheringham. In January this year, Kane's performance at the Premiere League surpassed Sheringham's record 97 league goals in 236 games with his own 98 league goals in 135 appearances. Following this, Sheringham has been full of praise for Kane, calling him the "best striker in the world" and the only world-class player in England.
5. He found love with his childhood sweetheart While there might be dispiriting sighs over the fact that Kane is taken, most fans will be happy to know that the player is engaged to his childhood sweetheart, Katie Goodland. Goodland is a fitness instructor and they are expecting their second child together. While she was unable to catch her fiancé live at the games in Russia, Goodland has been generous with support on her Instagram where she posts pictures of herself watching the tournament with her baby bump and toddler to her 62,000 followers.