Niall Horan is more than just your Irish sweetheart
Niall Horan's making Singapore one of the stops in his global tour. Here are 5 things you need to know about this Irishman before catching him live on 12 June
1. Flickeris Niall Horan’s first album ever since One Direction’s hiatus Ever since the band's indefinite hiatus in 2016, members of One Direction have all embarked on their solo careers, with Flicker as Horan's pet project. Released on 20 October 2017, Horan had spent one and a half years writing every single record in the album, sharing that it was the most raw and most personal music ever released. While the songs were mostly about one person in particular, 'Mirrors' attempts an entrance into the mind of a young lady who explores the struggles of teenage girls. The album has met with great success, with 'This Town', its lead single, peaking at number nine on the UK Singles Chart and 20 on the US Billboard Hot 100 since its release in 2016.
2. Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles are just some his music inspirations Imbued with a folk and pop feel to it, Flicker sees Horan taking influences from his all-time favourite bands, The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac. His greatest music inspiration? Michael Bublé. The 24-year-old identifies with the Canadian singer's story, sharing a similar starting point — both were discovered by a family member who recognised their musical talents.
3. Horan is the second member of the boyband to have gone solo Horan's solo success follows after bandmate Zayn Malik released his chart-topping single, 'Pillowtalk' in March 2016. Subsequent solo ventures saw all other members attaining equal success — Harry Styles' 'Sign of the Times' (April 2017) went straight into the Official Singles Chart at number one, Liam Payne’s 'Strip That Down' (May 2017) racked up over 3.53 million streams, while Louis Tomlinson’s 'Just Hold On' (December 2016) debuted at number two on the UK Singles Chart. Who else can’t wait for a One Direction comeback?
4. He has always been heavily involved in sports, especially golf A jack of all trades doesn’t preclude the mastering of one, with Horan's extensive involvement in sports shows us just how it’s done. Music aside, the singer has enjoyed delving in football and golf since he was young. He has caddied for professional golfer Rory Mcllory and has involved himself with the Drive, Chip and Putt initiative that encourages and supports children golfers. In 2016, he joined the Modest golf management team where he supports and trains professional golfers.
5. He is the only One Direction member without a tattoo Call him a rebel or non-conformist. Horan's fear of tattoo needles transcends all'FOMO-ism'that his well-inked bandmates might have caused. Even when the rest have gotten matching tattoos, Horan doesn’t feel the need to get them. His shaking hands in the game of Tattoo Roulette on The Late Late Showwith James Corden shows it all.
Listen to Niall Horan's debut solo album, Flicker,here. Niall Horan performs live in Singapore on 12 June at The Star Theatre. Tickets here. For last week's #ManCrushMonday, click here.