Unsatisfied with Singapore's current lineup of concerts? Here's where you should go to catch artists who've given our red dot a miss this year
If you've been bitten by the travel bug, you could either wallow in despair to melancholic tunes or find a remedy to quell this wanderlust itch. For intrepid travelers and music fanatics seeking a short getaway, a holiday that hits that sweet spot in between the concert and country bucket list is ideal. Although we're spoilt for choice by the acts coming to Singapore via Laneway Festival and other concert promoters, we can't have it all — at least not John Legend, for instance.
So what if these artists aren't giving Singapore a chance? The great thing about being a transportation hub is that a dream concert is just a couple of hours away. Here are our top 5 picks:
1. Nothing But Thieves Where: Manila What would have been the alternative rock band's debut show in Singapore was cancelled back in 2016 much to our disappointment. However, those long-lost dreams may finally be fulfilled if we're up for a day out in Manila. The quintet will be demonstrating their signature eclecticism through well-loved hits such as 'If I Get High', 'Amsterdam' and 'Sorry'.
21 January 2018, 8pm at Kia Theatre.
2. Rita Ora Where: Hong Kong If you haven't heard of Rita Ora and Liam Payne's new upbeat dance number 'For You' as part of the final instalment of the Fifty Shades franchise, you should plug in to this chart topper. Make sure to catch the Kosovo-born, London-raised pop singer as she kick-starts her debut show in the land of dim sum alongside Taiwanese hip-hop and R&B singer J.Sheon.
18 January 2018, 8pm at Central Harbourfront Event Space.
3. The xx Where: Jakarta You can never have too much of The xx. The British indie electronic trio will be embarking on their Asia tour this January, where we're less than two hours away from resident beat-maker Jamie xx's seamless finger drumming, alongside co-leads Oliver Sim and Madley Croft's solemn vocals.
23 January 2018, 7pm at Jiexpo Kemayoran Hall B in Jakarta. 25 January 2018, 7pm at MITEC in Kuala Lumpur. 29 January 2018, 8pm at Thunderdome Complex in Bangkok. 1 February 2018, 7pm at Asia-World Expo in Hong Kong.
4. John Legend Where: Genting Highlands The nine-time Grammy Award recording artist will be bringing his Darkness and Light Tour to Southeast Asia this upcoming March in support of his fifth album, featuring hit singles 'Love Me Now' and 'Penthouse Floor'. After almost four years since the 39-year-old's Singapore Grand Prix stint, we're more than ready for another round of soulful sing-along.
10 March 2018, 8pm at Asia-World Expo in Hong Kong. 17 March 2018, 8.30pm at Arena of Stars in Genting Highlands. 21 March 2018, 7pm at Araneta Coliseum in Manila. 23 March 2018, 8pm at BITEC in Bangkok.
5. Zedd Where: Manila From smash hit single 'Stay' with Alessia Cara to 'Clarity' with Foxes, the Grammy-Award winning Russian-German electronic music producer is regarded as indispensable to the EDM scene today. With a glut of electronic dance music festivals occurring locally and internationally, it isn't an overstatement to say that we're spoilt for choice. Catch DJ Zedd as he makes another trip to Asia for his Echo Tour this March and April.
31 March 2018, 7pm at AsiaWorld-Expo in Hong Kong. 13 April 2018, 7pm at Araneta Coliseum in Manila.