Here's what you need to know about Ruth Negga, the Ethiopian-Irish actress who's on the awards show circuit
1. She credits her chameleon-like talent to her background Ruth Negga was born in Addis Ababa to an Ethiopian father and Irish mother, a doctor and nurse who met in Ethiopia. The 35-year-old eventually moved to Ireland at a young age due to political strife in her homeland, and grew up in Limerick before going to secondary school in London.
2. Her film Loving is the first feature film to be screened at the National Museum of African American History and Culture A frontrunner for an Oscar nomination for her role as Mildred Loving, Negga plays one half of a real life interracial couple whose fight for a legal marriage became a landmark civil rights case in America in 1958 — Loving was initially jailed for marrying her white partner. Joel Edgerton plays her other half.
3. Her partner is also an actor It's none other than the English actor Dominic Cooper. The two met when while appearing in a 2009 production of Phèdre, which also starred Helen Mirren. They've since appeared together in the film adaptation of Warcraft and the television show Preacher. They live together in Primrose Hill, London.
4. Negga didn't exactly just come out Tipped as the breakout star of 2017, the actress isn't entirely new to the scene. She's had a long acting career of about 10 years, with small roles in 12 Years a Slave, World War Z, Misfits and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. — you just haven't been noticing her.
5. She's a fashion favourite She's appeared on Vogue and W magazine covers, and is poised to be a designer's muse. In fact, that stunning hand-sewn silver, rose gold and yellow gold dress from Louis Vuitton took 120 hours to make — it was custom designed by Nicolas Ghesquiere himself.