Brace yourself for a French-speaking funny man this December. Here's a teaser into the world of comedian Gad Elmaleh
1. He has broken records with the number of tickets sold Gad Elmaleh made history when he was the first to sell out the prestigious Olympia theatre hall in Paris for seven consecutive weeks in 2007. The 47-year-old stand-up comedian followed the sold-out run with another seven sold-out weeks of shows at the Palais des Sports, a 3,800-seat venue in the country. In his international career, Elmaleh performed to sold-out crowds for more than 50 nights while he was at a residency at Joe's Pub in New York City in 2015 and has also finished a multi-city major comedy tour across the United States that culminated in a sold-out show at the world-famous Carnegie Hall in 2017.
2. He doesn't like being compared to other artistes, unless it's Jerry Seinfeld "Honestly, I don't like (it) when they compare artistess, but when they compare you to someone you admire, I'm not going to complain," Elmaleh said. Coined as the French Jerry Seinfeld because of their similar humour and tremendous popularity, the duo are actually friends. They first met when Elmaleh voiced Seinfeld's character in the French version of the Bee Movie. A friendship formed and Elmaleh has since opened for Seinfeld, starred in an episode of Seinfeld's web series Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and shared gigs in Montreal.
3. He dropped out of political science to do comedy skits Elmaleh studied political science in Université de Montréal when he was 17 years old. Through the four years in school, he also dabbled in radio, wrote humorous stories and played them in night clubs. However, he did not graduate and dropped out to perform skits on the comedy club scene. "Comedy was all that I was thinking about when I was here then," he said. Elmaleh discovered that he had a talent for entertaining people and left for Paris in the mid-1990s to pursue drama courses.
4. He has dated royalty Elmaleh dated Charlotte Marie Pomeline Casiraghi in a relationship that began in 2011 and lasted over three years. Casiraghi is the second child of Caroline, Princess of Hanover making her eleventh in line to the throne of Monaco. While the couple split in June 2015, Elmaleh and Casiraghi have a 4-year-old son, Raphaël Elmaleh together. Elmaleh has said, "We stay close. We are a family."
5. He was in a movie with Audrey Tautou The duo starred in the French comedy film, Priceless (2006) as love interests. Inspired by the 1961 classic Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Elmaleh played a cloddish employee while Tautou played a gold digger who mistakes Elmaleh’s character as a rich guest at a hotel. Elmaleh has also starred in the Steven Spielberg-directed film The Adventures of Tintin (2011) and appeared alongside Owen Wilson and Rachel McAdams in Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris (2011). Coming from a family of performers, Elmaleh’s father was a mime and brought young Elmaleh to see Charlie Chaplin in The Kid (1921). “I saw that movie and thought, I want to be that little boy on the screen,” Elmaleh said.
Gad Elmaleh performs live in Singapore on 5 December at Kallang Theatre. Tickets here. For last week's #ManCrushMonday, click here.