Timothée Chalamet: A millennial's Leonardo DiCaprio
5 things you need to know about 2018's breakout star, Timothée Chalamet
1. He filmed a love scene with a fruit And you thought American Pie was weird. In Call Me By Your Name, a scene had the 21-year-old actor get romantic with a peach. Talk about dedication to the craft. Give this man his Oscar already!
2. He isn't really French While his name conjures up the dreaminess often associated with the likes of Justin Trudeau, Emmanuel Macron and other Francophile-attuned names, the American is only half-French by way of his father. Chalamet grew up in Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan, but spends most of his summers in Le Chambon-sur-Lignon in France. He's fluent in French, too, of course.
3. He didn't just appear out of nowhere Do you remember Chalamet in Interstellar? In 2014, the actor played the older son of Matthew McConaughey in the sci-fi epic that also starred Jessica Chastain. The La Guardia art school graduate also performed in the 2016 Off Broadway production of Prodigal Son. In television, he's had roles in Law & Order and Homeland.
4. He has his smarts to thank for his role in Call Me By Your Name Director Luca Guadagninon cast Chalamet as Elio, a teen who falls in love with an American college student played by Armie Hammer. Talking about what made the director notice Chalamet, he had this to say: "I saw an incredibly articulate, bright, smart, artistically ambitious young man, someone who not only had a sense of self that was completely un-narcissistic but had ambition to make sure his art as an actor was shining on-screen.
5. His future co-stars include Steve Carrell and Elle Fanning You're about to see this Golden Globe nominee everywhere. His upcoming roles include one in Hostiles with Christian Bale, A Rainy Day in New York with Elle Fanning and Beautiful Boy with Steve Carell.