Meet Deepika Padukone, a Bollywood actress set to make her a mark on the world with her stunning screen performances and a personality to match
1. Her career started with a bang Beginning as a model at the age of 18, Padukone caught the eyes of many a designer in India, as well as the film world. Three years following her modeling debut, she was signed to star in her first Bollywood film with Shah Rukh Khan, one of India’s most revered actors. She won critics across India with her performance, as well as bagging a series of best debut awards that season.
2. She comes from an athletic background Her father, Prakash Padukone, is a badminton player for India, known for several impressive wins in the field, including the All England Championships and Commonwealth Games. The apple clearly does not fall far from the tree. Deepika was a national-level badminton player, in additional to being a state-level basketball player. She is known for promoting sports and female athletes, emphasising the importance of her fitness regime as a part of her daily life.
A photo posted by Deepika Padukone (@deepikapadukone) on
3. Her first Hollywood film is with Vin Diesel She’s starring in the recently-releasedxXx: Return of Xander Cage, alongside Vin Diesel and an expansive, stellar cast. Playing the role of Serena, Padukone slips into her role as a huntress who has a complicated history with Cage (played by Diesel). Padukone appeared on The Ellen Show to speak about her Hollywood debut, saying she has "amazing babies in her head" with Diesel.
4. She’s a vocal and open advocate Padukone has been known to speak her mind on issues close to her heart, particularly on her struggle with depression and her perceptions of feminism. She is highly praised for her extensive fight against the stigma of mental health issues in India.
5. She’s one of the highest-paid actresses in the world The actress was the only representation of Bollywood on the Forbes annual top-1o list, and the only one of two Asian actresses. Having earned US$10 million in 2016, Padukone can credit this to her wildly-successful string of Bollywood films, as well as several campaigns and endorsements with the likes of Tissot, Nike, and Coke.