#JanuHairy: 10 gorgeous women on Instagram inspiring us to ditch our shavers and let our natural body hair grow
Let it grow
We can blame the marketing execs of a certain global razor brand for putting the fear of hairiness into womenkind. In the post-WWII era after the U.S. army retired its razor commission, crafty advertising which vilified underarm hair to the female half of the population were circulated far and wide. To effect, many a lady have since sought to keep themselves as fuzz-free as possible.
And thus hairless skin became a beauty standard that held on in the 70 odd years that followed. That said, the tectonic plates of the shaving industry has begun shifting. Thanks to the virality of a certain campaign featuring women rocking their natural body hair, redemption is in order. There's hope yet.
Carrying this particular torch is Laura Jackson, a British student who began the #JanuHairy movement to encourage us to grow out our body hair for a month. What started as a prerequisite for her drama project quickly took on a life of its own, sparking education programmes and conversations around body acceptance. Just think: no more razor rash, painful nicks, unsightly bumps, or in-grown hair issues. Instead, just whole 31 days of love for your body as nature intended. Ready to defy some social norms and embrace a hirsute you? Let these 10 women inspire you.
1. Yes, you are sexy — and hella smart — with or without body hair.
2. Free the leg fuzz!
3. Why be the humanoid version of a naked mole rat when you can be a red-blooded woman?
4. Armpits, meet the unicorn hair trend.
5. Salma Hayek circa 2002, making the unibrow great again.
6. Who remembered Lust, Caution for Tang Wei's unshaven underarms more than the sex scenes?
7. Let it grow, let it grow, can't hold it back anymore~
8. If men can do it, why can't women? Flaunt your happy trail, gals.
9. It's legit. Julia Roberts unapologetically rocked her hairy pits and looked darn fabulous doing it.
10. And so did the ever sublime Penelope Cruz.