One minute beauty tutorials: The two-toned lip
Buro beauty trends
We've all seen the two-toned lip done K-Beauty style, with a rosy complexion and tones of red and pink. But what if you want to switch things up with a more fall-appropriate shade selection, and more sophisticated makeup? Makeup artist Marie Soh — creator of INGA, a line of lipsticks designed to be friendly on Asian skin tones — shows us how, in a one minute video. Check out more details on the steps below, and see the key products used in our gallery.
HOW TO ACHIEVE THE TWO-TONED LIP
1. Start the look with setting spray and primer to prepare the complexion, before using a large brush to buff foundation into the skin in circular motions.
2. Apply liquid concealer under the eyes to hide dark circles, but also around the mouth and on the chin to naturally highlight parts of the face, before blending it in.
3. The eyes are important, but should not be the focus of this look. Start by filling in brows with a brow pomade, using light, feathery strokes for a natural finish. Go for a shade close to your hair colour.
4. For the eyes, keeps things simple with a neutral or nude shade as a base on the lids, and a darker brown shade to define and smudge on the crease, as well as on the outer corners of the upper and lower lids.
5. Curl your lashes and apply mascara.
6. Skip the rosy blusher as it will make this look too K-Beauty-like. To warm up the skin, try bronzing powder with a bit of iridescence (don't go too dark), focusing on sculpting the upper cheekbones and jawline.
7. For the lips, start with a bright fuchsia (or similar) colour as the base, using a lip brush to define the shape of the lips and to fill in the outer ring of colour. Marie blends towards the centre, but keeps the 'O' of the mouth clean.
8. Choose a complementary shade — in this case, a deeper purple red — to apply in the centre of the lip. Dab it on with a brush to place the colour on the centre 'O', blending into the existing, pink shade.
9. Pat with your finger for a more seamless look, but do not overblend if you want the two colours to look quite distinct on your pout.
10. Add a modern twist. Finish off with a holographic or iridescent lip gloss in a clear or pearly shade, patted gently onto the centre of the lips and spread outwards. This will give your lips sparkle and dimension so they pop even more.
Check out some of the key products Marie used in the video, in the gallery below:
Videography: Justin Chen using Sony a7S
Photography: Vanessa Caitlin
Videography and photography assistance: Andy Leow
Beauty direction: Renée Batchelor
Makeup and hair: Marie Soh/27A
Model: Tanisha Khan/Basic Models
Buro 24/7 Selection
Interview with Crazy Rich Asians' Sonoya Mizuno
GuavaPass: The success story behind Singapore's homegrown fitness app
Cartier is rocking subversive with a new iteration of the Juste un Clou
Banana-enriched beauty treats for the skin, face and hair
ICYMI: Singaporeans take over the Crazy Rich Asians red carpet, Burberry has a new look, WWF Singapore's controversial ivory campaign backfires
Buro 24/7 Selection