Beauty tutorial: 5 easy steps to mastering the melted-on Korean lip look, as inspired by makeup guru Pony Syndrome
Pout like Pony
Still on the Korean ombré lip trend? Good for you, though you might want to consider an upgrade right about now, seeing as the duo-toned lip is nigh on its 10th anniversary (the Koreans have been ombré-ing since 2010; the rest of the world is just behind). What you should be rocking now is the melted-on pout, popularised by none other than Korean makeup maven Pony Syndrome whose signature augmented naturalness (lol, it's our way of not using the words 'digitally enhanced') have driven a legion of girls and women to copy the way she paints her lips, among other things.
Incidentally, this oh-so-trending K-lip ties in with the uptick in recent lip launches that see a velvet or hybrid cream-stain texture taking over the beauty shelves. And if that's not a sign to switch up how you lip — and to get new makeup — we'd eat our hats. Piqued to try your hand at perfecting the melted on K-lippie? Here's how to pull it off, Pony-style.
A velvet or cream-based lip product with great pigmentation and blendability, as you want the colour to sink right into the contours of your lips. Personally, we're fans of the Chanel Rogue Allure Inks for its airy mousse-like texture, though Pony's choice of Mamonde is a solid high street option. You're also going to need an eyeshadow brush with a pencil tip to help with the blending out.
Pony's trick is to start with a base shade, around which she then creates the melted-on edges.
1. Begin by filling in your lips with the base shade in gentle strokes (hit play around 9:39).
2. Be sure to pat the product right in for that melted-on finish.
3. Lightly trace the outline of your lips to create a soft edge that'll you further smudge out with the eyeshadow brush.
4. Blend away until your desired melted on K-lip is looking natch AF.
5. If you still want to rock a bit of that the ombré, then just keep watching the next 30 seconds.