Beauty how-to: FW17 best makeup trends
All the FW17 shows from the major cities may have come to an end, but many of the looks left an indelible imprint on my mind. The makeup artists got to really be 'artists' with the bold statement looks at London Fashion Week at the Fashion East show where the bright, shimmery masks that covered the girls faces really popped on the catwalk. Another favourite was the pops of contrasting colour on the eyes at Oscar de la Renta. And if you want something a little more low-octane, but still beautiful, try the doll look at MSGM. Here's how to attain my top three makeup looks from the fall/winter 2017 shows and the best products to use.
THE PURE SHEEN AT MAX MARA
The skin was pure perfection for this look, with a complexion that was flawless, with not a blemish in sight. The highlight was placed in all the right places, and to complete the look, it was balanced with a nude, matte lip.
1. Prep skin with an illuminating face cream, this will wake up even the most dull-looking skin. Always pick the right shade of foundation. A great tip is to always test the colour in natural light and to apply a small amount on the top of the hand and gently massage it in. If it blends in and you can't see it, then that's the shade for you. If in doubt, always go slightly darker (never lighter) as you don't want to end up with ghost face.
2. Once the base is on, conceal all the areas where it is needed — under the eyes, around the nose and to cover any blemishes. Then take a cream blush in a natural shade and blend it in with your finger or a brush, from the apples of the cheek up to the top of the ear. This will give you a flush of colour, but also a soft contour at the cheekbones.
3. Using a similar coloured cream eyeshadow, cover the lids of the eye, and blend outwards using a blending brush. Then take a deeper shade in the same colour, but this time use a powder formula and follow the socket line right from the the inner corner to the outer corner, blending out any harsh lines.
4. Next take a cream highlighter, and highlight the areas you want to enhance — a good place is the top of the cheekbones, top of the browbone and the bridge of the nose. Comb up the eyebrows using a small brush, but keep them natural.
5. Finish off with a coat of mascara on the lashes and matte lipstick to complement your glowing skin.
Tom Ford Lip Colour in First Time
Eventhough this is a matte finish lipstick, this does not leave you lips dry and cracked. Lips look lush, and the high pigment makes the colour last a lifetime.
Charlotte Tilbury Eye to Mesmerise Easy Cream Eyeshadow in Marie Antoinette
This cream-based eyeshadow is so easy to apply, it glides on the lid smoothly and blends really easily. It also has illuminating pigments that make the eyes pop, so it's great for using all over the eyes or just in the inner corners to give impact.
Chanel Vitalumière Aqua
This foundation makes skin look and feel luxurious. It's lightweight so you don't even feel like you are wearing anything on at all, but it allows just the right amount of coverage so the skin is left looking flawless, youthful and glowing.
THE STATEMENT EYES AT OSCAR DE LA RENTA
This look showed real guts, showcasing two very contrasting colours together. But it really does work. The look is very young and fresh while still making an impact, with the pale, matte skin, letting the eyes stand out even more.
1. Apply a a face cream all over the face to hydrate the skin. To get that porcelain skin look, choose a foundation that has good coverage and that mattes down the skin without leaving it looking dry.
2. Add concealer only where it is needed. Then take a baby blue eyeshadow with a flat small brush and apply it all over the lids taking it above the socket line. Next take a blending brush and soften and blend the edges out.
3. Next, take your contrasting colour — red eyeshadow in this case — and use a small eyeliner brush to follow the lashline. You can build up the line depending on how much of an impact you want. Remember to keep the under-eye area clean.
4. Use a small powder brush and lightly powder all over the face to set the makeup, and to stop any shine. Finish this look with a lip stain or tint for just for a flush of colour on the lips.
Make Up For Ever Matte Finish Shadow in Morello Cherry
The intense pigments in this range are off the charts — you really do not need much product to get the true colour. It's also smooth and blends really well.
Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Radium Peacock Blue
The '70s are back and this blue shadow works perfectly. Its soft texture is easy to apply and does not leave creases even after all-day wear. It also comes in a lot of fun shades and will make putting on eyeshadow seamless.
Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup
I love this foundation as it will last thoughout the day and night. It has a matte finish, but still leaves skin looking natural and not dull, as many matte foundations tend to do. It's great for humid countries as it keeps shine at bay, and as an added bonus, it has SPF coverage.
THE CHINA DOLL LOOK AT MSGM
This very feminine look is very doll-like — the skin is perfected and the clumpy, almost false looking lashes makes this very girly yet easy to pull off.
1. Start by prepping the skin with an oil-free moisturiser. Then choose a lightweight foundation and buff in to the face using a foundation brush.
2. Comb up the eyebrow but leave it mostly natural. Next choose a nude or peach-toned eyeshadow and do a wash of colour all over the lid, blending the colour outwards.
3. Then use a cream or white eyeliner pencil to line the inner rim of the lashline, this can really make the eyes look fresh — a tip if your eyes are a little red or tired.
4. Next load up on black mascara, applying it to the top and bottom lashes. Do not hold back for with this look, more is more. Make sure to get close to the root of the lash for real oomph.
5. Lightly dust a loose powder in the T-zone to stop any shine and to set the makeup. To finish add a rose or red lipstick and blot with a tissue to create a stain that doesn't look too heavy.
Maybelline New York Volume Express The Colossal Spider Effect Mascara
This is perfect to give your lashes the 'Twiggy' effect. The brush is designed to get right up close to the roots and the formula grabs on to the lashes to create the clumpy look.
Benefit Benetint Cheek and Lip Stain
This is a golden fave of mine. It just gives that little stain to the lip like rosebud lips, the smell is divine and the colour lasts for ages. It can also double up on your cheeks for a faint flush.
Nars Soft Velvet Loose Powder
It's a really lightweight, soft powder that makes your skin feel like velvet. While it stops all shine, you feel like your skin can breathe and it still looks natural.
Buro 24/7 Selection
Buro 24/7 Selection
Gal Oya in Sri Lanka: Of unspoiled nature, wildlife and cathartic experiences
Comedian Ahmed Ahmed: The Egyptian-American discovers Nasi Kang Kang in Malaysia
Singapore label Biro Company designs a football-inspired capsule for Buro 24/7 x Farfetch. Here's what it looks like
Sunday Riley on creating a skincare brand that actually works
World Cup finals 2018: Reactions to Mbappe, Putin's umbrella guy and BTS
Buro 24/7 Selection