As a makeup artist, I'm asked many questions. One of the most common is, "If you're shipwrecked on a desert island, what's the makeup item you can't live without?" And my answer every time is mascara, mascara, mascara!
Mascara for me is the icing on the cake, and finishes off any look. Each mascara is designed to create a different look for your lashes, and a lot of that has to do with the shape of the brush on the wand. As a makeup artist, I have tried and tested many different brands. Here are my five top picks, including some new mascaras.
1. Dior Diorshow Designer, $53 This mascara is great to me, as it has a small brush and I find that it works perfectly to get to the hard-to-reach places — you can really get at the roots and bottom lashes without it smudging all over your face. The small brush head gives you good control, plus it's designed with an airlock tube, so that the formula never dries out before you get to the end. Great for:Building up the lashes without clumpiness. Giving great length and volume.
2. Givenchy Noir Couture 4-in-One, $53 This is a favourite of mine as it isn't just a great mascara, it's actually formulated to be good for your lashes too. It's designed to really give nutrition and protection to each lash, keeping them strong. Great for: Great curl and volume that lasts all day without requiring re-application. Achieving that big lash effect.
3. Chanel Inimitable Extreme, $52 The name says it all. What it does to your lashes is pretty extreme! I have been using this on photo shoots, and I love the brush, as it coats the lashes and combs them at the same time. The amazing brush has fine teeth which helps to stop any clumps forming, giving you luscious lashes with extra length. Great for: The waterproof version is also perfect for the Singapore humidity, which means that your mascara lasts all day without a smudge in sight.
4. Nars Audacious Mascara, $44 This mascara does it all for me, and that's why it's in my top five. The brush has been designed so it has over 200 moulded bristles that help lift, lengthen, curl, comb, and amplify each and every lash, leaving you with the kind of eye-catching lashes that everyone wants. The mascara fluid glides onto the lashes smoothly and has great staying power. Top tip: To help give your lashes thickness and depth, wiggle the brush back and forth at the very base of the lashes, making sure you coat from root to tip.
5. Urban Decay Perversion Mascara, $38 The colour of this mascara is an intense black and really gives you that dramatic look and finish. Its creamy texture makes it easy to apply and leaves the lashes looking healthier and more voluminous. The brush is very different too. It's designed with a twisted effect that helps to separate and define the lash giving you bigger, blacker and badder lashes. Top tip:Before you use the mascara try prepping the lashes with Subversion Lash Primer — it protects and conditions the lashes and helps mascara go on more smoothly and last longer.