One minute beauty tutorials: The CNY red eyeshadow look
Red, she said
When it comes to Chinese New Year-appropriate makeup, the obvious choice is a bold red lippie or even dragon lady red nails. But if you want to avoid that cliché there are other options that are still suitably festive. Thanks to red eyeshadow, which has been trending for all of 2017 and is still going strong in 2018, edgy chicas have another way to reach their red makeup quota. Check out how 27A's Marie Soh skilfully creates a burgundy eyeshadow and mauve lip look on model Tanisha Khan, that happily works on all skin tones. The best way to achieve this? Watch our tutorial and practice before the big day!
HOW TO ACHIEVE THE BURGUNDY EYE MAKEUP LOOK
1. If you want your eye makeup to pop on darker skin, start with an eyeshadow primer or concealer on the lids, after you've done your base makeup. To complement this look, a burgundy-tinged brow pomade works.
2. Start by brushing a red or burgundy toned eyeshadow on the lid up to the crease. Tap on the shadow to ensure there's strong pigment on the skin first, before blending it outwards with any eyeshadow brush to soften any obvious lines and extend the colour towards the browbone.
3. For a bolder accent, apply the same shade on the outer corners of the eyes on the lower lid. To create highlight and contrast, apply a gold shimmer in the inner corners of the eyes.
4. Finish with black liquid liner so that eyes are defined, creating a small wing tip at the edges. Add black mascara.
5. Skip the blusher to avoid an overly-pink look on the face, and use contouring powder in a sweeping, upwards motion to define the cheekbones instead.
6. Apply a mauve-y purple for a complementary lipstick shade. Or opt for a matte nude if you want a more restrained look.
7. Finally, tie in the entire look by applying gold highlighter on key points such as the high planes of the face, and the cupid's bow.
Videography: Justin Chen using Sony a7S
Videography and photography assistance: Andy Leow
Beauty direction: Renée Batchelor
Makeup and hair: Marie Soh/27A
Model: Tanisha Khan/Basic Models
Buro 24/7 Selection
Buro 24/7 Selection