In the first episode of our video series, stylist Nicole Wong gives us her pro tips on creating a beautiful flatlay
If you've ever admired a beautiful and artistic flatlay and wondered how to achieve the same effects that you've seen on your favourite Instagram accounts, Nicole Wong has some insider tips for you.
1. Always keep a prop box From marble tiles to small pebbles to even shards of broken glass, you'll be surprised at the things that can be used to create texture and add interest to your flatlay. Having them handy, and even gathering them in your travels or daily life will also ease the flatlay process, when you're creatively stumped.
2. Pay attention to colour tones As far as possible, keep things in the same colour family. In her flatlay for Chanel, Wong stuck to classic tones of black, beige and gold, with the occasional pops of colour — thanks to the bright lipsticks. Keeping colours harmonious will help your flatlay look more put-together.
3. Play with different textures and shapes to make your flatlay come to life Incorporate a variety of shapes from round and square compacts to skinny tubes, so that your flatlay doesn't look too blockish. Think of your flatlay as the ultimate jigsaw puzzle, piecing together and placing items for the most harmonious effect. Remember to fill in obvious gaps and don't forget to add interesting items like jewellery or even a beautiful watch for an unexpected twist.
As a frequent traveller and someone who is always on the go, Wong has beauty must-haves that have become indispensable to her routine.
1. Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Powder SPF15/PA++ "I like how this gives me a very subtle radiance when I don't feel like wearing blusher. It can also be used to lightly sculpt the face."
2. Les Beiges Healthy Glow Foundation "Gone are the days when liquid foundations are heavy and don't allow your skin to breathe. A little of this goes a long way for a touch of casual radiance."
3. Coco Mademoiselle Eau de Parfum "Everyone needs a signature scent and finding The One is like finding a soul mate. This is mine."
Take a look at Wong's favourite Chanel products in the gallery below.