Tried and tested: What to splurge on from Fenty Beauty by Rihanna
The Fenty face
We’ve shopped Rihanna’s new makeup line, Fenty Beauty, and here’s our take on the makeup goodies you need to get (before it all runs out)
It was 9.02am on a Friday morning and a snaking line of girls were patiently sat outside Sephora at Ion Orchard, most having spent an all-nighter in the mall. This was what it took in order to nab the privilege (and beauty bragging rights) of being the exclusive 'first-through-the-door' batch to get a piece of Fenty Beauty, launched today across 17 countries simultaneously.
Trust Badgal RiRi to be the one whose makeup line would incite a queue reminiscent of the Balmain x H&M furore, albeit on a smaller scale sans camping tents and more civilised behavior. And if you've been stalking the collection on Instagram, chances are you've already eyed some things and you're armed with a wishlist. Of course, as Buro's resident beauty buffs, we were there for a preview of Fenty Beauty — plus its subsequent unveiling to the aforementioned makeup junkies and the public — and in no time at all have swatched our forearms full of product while bopping our heads to a remixed Rihanna playlist. Having put everything through the paces, here's our two cents on what you ought to blow your money on:
1. Match Stix Skinsticks in Matte and Shimmer, $37 each The sleek hexagon packaging is totally chic (and oh-so-Buro, FYI) and both finishes are super blendable whether you're using fingers, sponges or brushes. We picked up the matte version for easy peasy contouring, but if you love a great highlighter or blush, you best get a stick or three in the shimmer edition as well because the rainbow's worth of colours and its payoff are sick.
2. Killawatt Freestyle Highlighter/Duo, $50 We're talking glow so insane and out-of-this-world, your mind will be blown that this is actually a powder. Finely milled and shade-matched in a duo compact — hello, Girl Next Door/Chic Phreak combo — or single hues in a subtler silver-white or pure, shimmery golden goodness, this is how you can emulate RiRi's killer radiance.
3. Pro Filt'r Instant Retouch Primer, $48 Not to jump the gun, but this could be one of the best primers, like, ever. We weren't expecting to be wowed much with this one but one pump delivered an incredibly lightweight and cushiony texture that worked into the skin like the smoothest of moisturisers. There's none of that slippy, siliconey feel and we're holding out for the shine-stopping, pore-diffusing and filter-like blurring effect promised by the fine print.
4. Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer, $31 Admittedly glosses can be so passé, yet there's something about the Fenty Beauty Lip Bomb that makes you want to slick on its dewy shine. It could be the conditioning boost of the shea butter-enriched formula, the yummy peach-vanilla scent, or the universally flattering rose nude shade created by Rihanna herself — she pretty much said so that it's her go-to lippie in the launch videoclip. Our tip is to layer it over a MLBB lipcolour to bring out the holo-like shimmer if it doesn't show as much on your natural, bare lips.
5. Cheek-Hugging Highlight Brush, $48 A good makeup brush is hard to find, especially one that can tackle multiple uses and is priced at a value that's not obscenely expensive. This one checks all the boxes with a unique, asymmetrical cut to its densely packed bristles. You can wield it to apply highlighter on your brow bone, cupid's bow, the bridge of the nose and even on the collarbones. Yup, this one is going into our makeup bags as a mainstay.
Fenty Beauty by Rihanna is now available at Sephora, in-stores and online.