We'll cut right to the chase. Amidst the excessive eating and gift gifting this festive season, lies a free pass to get smashed. That means copious amounts of wines, spirits, shots, beers... the more the merrier. After all, Christmas is a celebratory affair that only comes around once a year.
But with actions, come consequences. We don't mean drunk-texting your ex or uploading embarrassing selfies on social media (that can be easily rectified... we think), but it's the hangover we dread most. The older we get, the longer it takes to recover from the pounding headaches, incessant barfing, and the foetal position we find ourselves in the day after. We've been there, and so have these bartenders from our city's well-loved bars. Below, they share the remedies they swear by to get through the day — unsurprisingly, spruced with a dash of alcohol (talk about the age-old 'hair of the dog' myth). Already picked out your poison for the night? Good. Make sure you have these ingenious recipes on hand, too.
GROUP BEVERAGE MANAGER AT NEON PIGEON
Antidote of choice: Awaken Tea
Awaken Tea: Here's what you need
45ml Mancino Bianco Vermouth
45ml Jasmine Green Tea (cold)
Awaken Tea: How to make it
1. Build up all the ingredients (except the Prosecco) into a chilled rock glass, and then add a cube of ice.
2. Top up with Prosecco and garnish with grapefruit zest.
HEAD BARTENDER AT ATLAS
Antidote of choice: Jenever Buck
Jenever Buck: Here's what you need
45ml Boompjes 100% Maltwine
Half a Lime (juiced)
Lime & Mint as garnish
Jenever Buck: How to make it
1. Build up ingredients in a highball glass. Finish off with lime and mint.
HEAD BARTENDER AT JUNIOR
Antidote of choice: Michelada
Michelada: Here's what you need
50ml Clamato Juice (or Campbell's tomato juice)
3-4 dashes of Tabasco Sauce
2-4 dashes of Worcestershire Sauce
2 dashes of Maggie Seasoning Sauce
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Pepper
15ml Fresh Lime Juice
Top up with a Porter
Michelada: How to make it
1. Build up all ingredients except the beer into a salt-rimmed highball glass.
2. Add ice, then pour in the beer. Use a spoon to gently mix together the ingredients. Garnish with a lime wedge.
BAR MANAGER AT SUMMERLONG
Antidote of choice: Rum Peng
Rum Peng: Here's what you need
200g Milo Powder
200ml Hot Water
45ml Mount Gay Black Barrel Rum
Rum Peng: How to make it
1. Dissove Milo powder in hot water and pour into a highball glass.
2. Fill to the top with ice. Stir until you've reached your desired consistency.
3. Add the rum to finish.
BARTENDER AT 28 HONGKONG STREET
Antidote of choice: Bunenos Dias
Bartender's note: Make your own Spicy Mix and Beetroot Vinegar before creating the Bunenos Dias.
Spicy Mix: Here's what you need
2g Black Pepper
1 Japanese Cucumber
4 Jalapeño Pepper
10 dashes Tabasco Sauce
100ml Worcestershire sauce
100ml Amontillado Sherry
1 tbpsn Mustard
1 clove Garlic
Spicy Mix: How to make it
1. Place all ingredients in the blender until a fine consistency
2. Strain through a cheesecloth
Beetroot Vinegar: Here's what you need
500ml Fresh Pressed Beetroot Juice
500g Caster Sugar
250ml Apple Cider Vinegar
Beetroot Vinegar: How to make it
1. Blend all ingredients together until the sugar dissolves.
Bunenos Dias: Here's what you need
30ml Purasangre Blanco Tequila
20ml Alipus San Juan Joven Mezcal
25ml Homemade Spicy Mix
7.5ml Homemade Beetroot Vinegar
20ml Fresh Lemon Juice
90ml Tomato Juice
Bunenos Dias: How to make it
1. Build up ingredients in a highball glass over ice.