#SaturdaySessions: Steak tartar with ginger chilli
Closer to home
You might just be a steak tartar convert after trying out chef Ryan Clift's ambitious new take. Switching up this French bistro classic with ingredients from Open Farm Community's very own outdoor farm, this addition to the restaurant's new locally-inspired menu (think: Tempura frog legs from Jurong, local snake bean and roasted pink red snapper) might inspire you to recreate the dish in your own kitchen. While whipping up something with raw meat from scratch might put you off, quality beef from a good butcher will seal the deal (Clift opts for Angus rump). The best part? You'll already have the rest of the ingredients in your pantry — or if you're lucky, your mother's.
Here's what you need
Serves 2 to 3
Ginger chilli sauce
350g fresh chilli
100g young ginger
20g coriander with roots
70g light soy sauce
60g sesame oil
60g lime juice
Coriander and spring onion puree
200g coriander with roots
200g spring onion with roots
40g sesame oil
400g diced Angus rump
25g diced shallot
155g ginger chilli sauce
6g chopped coriander
8g chopped chives
24g sesame oil
30g chopped capers
How to make it:
1. Place all the ingredients for the ginger chilli sauce in a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning to desired taste.
2. For the coriander and spring onion puree, blanch coriander and spring onions in a pot of heavily seasoned water for four minutes and shock in ice water. Remove the cooked spring onions and coriander and squeeze dry. Place all other ingredients into a blender and blend into a smooth puree, then adjust seasoning to desired taste.
3. Using a fork, mix all the ingredients for the beef tartar in a bowl and season to taste.
4. For the garlic croutons, mix 300gm of soft unsalted butter, 3g Italian parsley, 50g minced garlic and 5g of salt on bread and toast at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
5. Serve with coriander and spring onion puree on the side.
For last week's Saturday Sessions, click here. To view more recipes, click here.
- Image: Open Farm Community
Buro 24/7 Selection
A comprehensive guide to the inner workings of Off-White's Virgil Abloh
Elyn Wong of Stolen: Buro 24/7 Singapore Playlist #133
Anggun from Asia's Got Talent is a pretty big deal in France, too
What you can buy at Prada fragrances' largest pop-up in the world
The world’s largest Starbucks has landed in Shanghai
Buro 24/7 Selection