Chances are, you've dined at one of Crystal Jade's outlets within the past year. The stalwart in the dining scene consistently serves up Chinese cuisine grounded in fresh ingredients and cooking methods so finely tuned it leaves no margin for error. Over at Crystal Jade Prestige, the dining experience goes up a notch with inventive touches that would surprise even the most jaded of palates. Take for example this shrimp dumpling crowned with a disc of fragrant black garlic, an ingredient that helps to lower cholesterol levels and decrease the risk of cancer. Why didn't anyone think of this before? It's truly a new way to fall in love with shrimp dumplings again.
Here's what you need
Makes about 15 dumplings
For the filling:
70g of tiger prawns (approximately 7 pieces), finely minced
25g carrot, finely diced
25g Chinese parsley, finely diced
25g celery, finely diced
½ tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp corn starch
For dumpling skin:
1½ cups of wheat starch (and extra for kneading)
2 tbsp of tapioca starch
1 cup of boiling water
1 tbsp of oil
40g black garlic, sliced thinly
15 pieces wolfberries, soaked in some boiling hot water until soft
How to make it
To make the dumpling skin:
1. Mix the wheat starch and tapioca flour in a bowl.
2. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add boiling water and oil.
3. Slowly incorporate the flour into the water and oil and mix until a ball of dough is formed.
4. Place the ball of dough onto a floured surface and knead till smooth.
5. Roll the dough into a long strip of about 1-inch in diameter and cut into ¼-inch thick portions.
6. Roll out each piece evenly into flat rounds.
7. Cover the dumpling skins with a damp towel to keep them from drying out before use.
To make the filling:
1. Mix all ingredients together, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
To wrap the dumplings:
1. Take about 1 tbsp of filling and place in the middle of one dumpling skin.
2. Gather and pinch the sides of the dumpling skin together to form a dumpling.
3. Place dumpling on baking paper-lined steamer tray and steam for about 4 minutes until the dumpling skin turns translucent and prawns are cooked.
4. Cool the dumpling for 2 minutes before crowning each with one slice of black garlic and wolfberry before serving. It is important to cool the dumplings slightly after steaming, before serving, so that the skin is not too sticky or soft.
To view more Saturday Sessions recipes, click here.