#SaturdaySessions: Vietnamese prawn summer rolls
Recipes for the weekend
Light, delicate, and bursting with the taste of fresh herbs, these Vietnamese summer rolls are a cinch to make once you've perfected the art of wrapping the rice paper sheets. Below, the chefs from Town Restaurant share their recipe for this ubiquitous Vietnamese snack. From now to 2 October, you can also taste these rolls at the restaurant's 'Flavours of Vietnam' showcase. During this time, the restaurant's usual buffet dinner spread will be complemented by a selection of Vietnamese dishes prepared by three visiting chefs from Vietnam.
Here's what you need
16 medium size poached prawns, peeled and deveined
6 rice paper sheets
16 big lettuce leaves
1 medium size cucumber cut in thin strips
1 medium size carrot cut in thin strips
1 handful of rice vermicelli, soaked in hot water
Sprigs of mint, basil and coriander
4 spring onions, chopped
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
Sweet and sour fish sauce (see recipe below)
For the sweet and sour fish sauce
4 tablespoons fish sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons chilli sauce
1 teaspoon red chilli, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon spring onion, finely chopped
How to make it
1. To prepare the sweet and sour fish suace, mix all ingredients together required in a mixing bowl and set aside.
2. Remove the prawn heads and reserve them for later usage.
3. Take a rice paper sheet and make it damp with a little warm water. Repeat the step with a second rice paper sheet and place half of it over the first rice paper sheet.
4. Soak the dried vermicelli noodles in hot water for 10-15 minutes, until softened. Drain the noodles in a colander.
5. Place a lettuce on the rice paper sheets and arrange the carrot, cucumber, vermicelli noodles, herbs and poached prawns evenly on the lettuce.
6. Sprinkle some sesame and roll it into a spring roll.
7. Cut the spring roll in half and serve with sweet and sour fish sauce on the side.
Leave a comment
Buro 24/7 Selection
Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders is a lesson on depicting and consuming culture responsibly
So Here's The Thing: A new dating column to read now
I'm with the brand: Prep Luxe
The 5 unisex trends from Seoul Fashion Week tipped to blow up this season
#BuroLive Episode 32: What to buy at our Fashion Charity Sale this Saturday
Buro 24/7 Selection