#SaturdaySessions: Spicy wings with blue cheese sauce
Great for sharing
We sell a lot of wings. There are banks of fryers working overtime to get them out to the hungry masses. The grease they generate is phenomenal. At home I'm not a big fan of deep frying — it's too messy, wasteful of oil and the smell lingers for days.
Wings are something you can cook pretty much as well in the oven at home as you can in an industrial fryer. And they are almost embarrassingly easy to do. The baking powder and salt will dry out the skin so you get that all-important crunch rather than a mouthful of flaccid fat.
Here's what you need
1kg chicken wings, jointed
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
250ml Tabasco Original Red Sauce
For the blue cheese sauce
100g sour cream
2 cloves garlic
15ml white wine vinegar
1⁄2 tsp onion powder
10ml lemon juice
A pinch of salt
A pinch of finely ground black pepper
How to make it
1. For the blue cheese sauce, mince the garlic and combine all ingredients except the cheese in a bowl. Crumble the Gorgonzola into very small pieces and stir into the mayo mix. Refrigerate and let sit, ideally overnight. Before serving, taste again and season to taste. You may need a drop more vinegar or lemon juice at this stage, too.
2. Toss the chicken wings with the salt and the baking powder and refrigerate overnight on a roasting tray.
3. To cook the wings, roast them in the oven on a wire rack at 220 °C for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through, turning halfway through.
4. Melt the butter over a medium heat in a frying pan or wok and slowly stir in the hot sauce. Add the wings and toss until thoroughly coated.
5. Serve the wings with the blue cheese sauce and ice-cold beer.
This recipe, originally titled 'Wings @ Home', was reproduced with permission from The MEATliquor Chronicles: Chapter and Verse, by Yianni Papoutsis and Scott Collins. For more information, visit MEATLiquor Singapore.
For last week's #SaturdaySessions, click here.
- Image: The MEATliquor Chronicles: Chapter and Verse
Leave a comment
Buro 24/7 Selection
Travel inspiration: The mysterious Pyramids of Ancient Nubia
Inside our #BuroSocial dinner at The Mill
How to make the perfect crab linguine
That touch of luxe: The new Tiffany & Co. Home & Accessories collection
5 things to do this weekend: 13 - 15 October
Buro 24/7 Selection