There's something about laarb ped that makes it hard to define. There's watercress, spring onions, and coriander that introduces plenty of fresh, vibrant flavours, but a hit of fish sauce and minced duck quickly swings the salad over into savoury territory. With so many elements coming into play, getting the proportions of ingredients right is key. Thanks to the chefs helming La Belle Epoque at The Luang Say Residence in Luang Prabang, we have here a recipe that you can easily turn to at home.
Here's what you'll need
150g minced duck
1tsp sesame oil
10g lemongrass, chopped
20g garlic, sliced
20g shallots, sliced
10g kaffir lime leaf
20g roasted ground rice
20ml fish sauce
20ml lime juice
10g spring onions
How to make it
1. Heat the oil in the wok until just smoking.
2. Add the minced duck and salt: stir fry for around 4 minutes until the meat changes colour, then remove from the heat.
3. Add the lemongrass, garlic, shallots, kaffir lime leaf, and ground rice. Toss for 1 minute until all the ingredients are well combined.
4. Season with the fish sauce and lime juice. Taste and adjust if necessary.
5. Garnish with the watercress, spring onions, and coriander, and serve with red wild sticky rice.
This recipe has been reproduced with permission from The Small Luxury Cookbook, a culinary tome by Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
To view more recipes, click here.